New circuit for Microwave and Vent Hood

Old 08-27-12, 03:38 PM
New circuit for Microwave and Vent Hood

I am trying to investigate the effort of getting my electrical needs correct and within code to determine the final design of our kitchen remodel.

I currently have the standard OTR microwave configuration with a single 20A (dedicated circuit) plug in the cabinet over the MW. The kitchen is on a conrete slab with a island that is served by a single GFCI outlet (standard duplex outlet that is daisy-chained off a GFCI receptical on the perimeter wall of the kitchen).

I want to upgrade to an under-counter microwave and install it in the island and replace the existing OTR micro with a range vent hood. Per the MW's specifications, it calls for a dedicated 15-20A (I believe it is rated at 15A) circuit, as does the range hood (it doesn't necessarily say "dedicated" for the range hood, but I assume the case)

Since the island is served by power currently running through the slab, I believe that I can investigate and determine where it exits the slab into the perimeter wall to run a new dedicated line to the island. However, my problem might be running a new homerun wire from the island to the service panel (installing a new breaker), as I would have to go through serveral walls, ceilings and around many corners to not have to destroy too much drywall in the process ( kitchen is on the first floor of a two story house and the breaker box is in the garage on the opposite corner).

I was wondering if the Range hood and Microwave could share the same 20A circuit that originally supplied the OTR microwave, or if this is a big no-no? What are my other options in running service to the island that will support the microwave? if a new homerun wire is necessary, how much work may be involved? and if you have a horror story of running a similar line, let me know what you experienced?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-12, 04:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Plug-in microwaves do not require dedicated circuits (an 'in cabinet' model is simply a countertop model with a trim bezel) and range hoods only require a dedicated circuit if connected with a cord and plug. So as long as the new range hood is hardwired, you can put them both on the same circuit.