Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Insulation against liquids; involving electricals, metal, and glass

Insulation against liquids; involving electricals, metal, and glass

Old 08-27-12, 07:49 PM
Question Insulation against liquids; involving electricals, metal, and glass

Hello,

I am building something, though I am in the design phase right now. When completed it will be a fish tank, made of glass, with peltiers and associated heatsinks protruding from it's sides. There will be mineral oil in the tank so frying electronics is not really the concern. The concern is leakage.

The peltiers were going to have the hot side outward with a heatsink, and the cool side directly in contact with the mineral oil. However, I am not sure I can place the peltier completely within the liquid it should be cooling.

So my latest idea is to have a heatsink on the cool side as well; with this heatsink being the object that enters the glass. Then using some sort of rubber to seal it. But what rubber and where do I get that? Are there any other flaws to the design?

Thank you for reading this post,
Adam.

Note: If this is the wrong sub-forum please let me know, I mean no disrespect.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-12, 08:09 PM
Why violate the glass at all? Conduction cool thru the glass, perhaps use RTV or epoxy for the bond.

Old 08-27-12, 08:19 PM
Why can't you build the whole thing out of aluminum?

Old 08-27-12, 08:54 PM
Two Great Ideas

Well,
I will definitely have to do research on those two ideas, Thank you both.
If anyone is willing I would like the original idea pursued further while I try to understand heat dispersion through glass as opposed to the heatsink.
Aluminum is probably best but this is a show piece and people would want to see the interior of the tank. Still, it bears more thought, thank you.

Thank you for reading this,
adam.

Old 08-27-12, 09:20 PM
Aluminum is probably best but this is a show piece and people would want to see the interior of the tank.
Just a question: Do you have a real need to have the interior visible from every angle, or would one transparent side work?

Old 08-28-12, 06:03 AM
If you decide to have the heat sink enter the glass, seal it with 3M 5200. Just be sure it's placed properly before that stuff dries because you won't be able to remove it afterwards. It is not a good conductor of heat.

Old 08-28-12, 07:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think to be effective you'd have to cut the glass out where the peltiers are going. The glass would just end up being an insulating layer and reduce the cooling/heating properties.

I've never used 3M 5200, but it sounds like good stuff. Most fish tanks are assembled just with silicone, so that should make a good seal, though you'll have to secure the peltier somehow. I'd also recommend using acrylic and not glass, way easier to cut or have cut.

Take a look at some fishtank building websites, you'll see that people build their own 100-500 (and larger) gallon aquariums with acrylic silicone and plastic cement. Often times there are holes cut and sealed for piping and sumps and such.

Old 08-28-12, 08:15 AM
Thank you Everyone, The problem is solved.

You have all given me a lot to think about. Thank you for that. I have decided to build with acrylic and place heatsinks through the acrylic held in place by 3m Marine fast cure 5200. Thanks again

Old 08-28-12, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
OK, now that we have your issue resolved, what's this actually going to do/be?

Old 08-28-12, 05:39 PM
There will be mineral oil in the tank so frying electronics is not really the concern.
A fish fryer maybe? Or a torture chamber?

Old 08-28-12, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
My vote is a CPU cooler for over clocking.

Old 08-28-12, 06:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah that's my guess as well. Mineral oil immersion is the second best uber-cooling you can get (next to phase-change active cooling). Just a quick tidbit for the OP.. I hope you have all of your motherboard I/O connectors isolated via extensions outside the tank with solid-pin headers or solid pin/sealed ports.. I've seen people just plug peripherals right into the motherboard I/O connector (under the oil) and a few weeks later they start finding "mouse pee" on the desk.. The oil wicks through the stranded cables and starts leaking out the mouse. It's a messy lesson in fluid dynamics..