Is my Washer/Dryer 110 or 220 wiring?

Old 08-29-12, 11:56 AM
Is my Washer/Dryer 110 or 220 wiring?

Sorry, I'm a little green on electrical and having a "blonde moment".

I was assuming the washer/gas dryer combo stackable units I recently purchased online needed 220 electrical running to it, because the Sears website lists in their specs "Voltage: 220/240V" for the gas model.

The unit is a small GE GTUP240GM combo washer/dryer stackable unit. When I talked with the plumber who was giving me a bid, he mentioned that if the unit was gas, I might only need to use a standard 110 electrical hookup and I wouldn't need 220.

I bought the unit online and it will arrive in a couple weeks, and I suppose the plug will tell the tale, but I'm just wondering if someone can easily let me know if the Sears website was listing that incorrectly so I'll know if I can save on having the electrical job done as I already have a standard 110 dedicated electrical line running through that wall that is unused currently and would be a good fit for this, but isn't 220.

The specs on a GTUP240GM reads, "This appliance should be connected to an individual branch circuit with a three-prong grounding type receptacle. And 120 volt single-phase 60 hz electrical service protected by 15-20 amp delay fuses or circuit breaker.

So this sounds different to me than the electric dryer that says it requires a 120/240v single phase electrical service. So I'm assuming the 120/240v stands for a 220 dedicated line, while my 120v specs are a simple 110 plug-in. Correct? Just making sure Sears is wrong and I'm going to save a little money here.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-12, 12:01 PM
Group Moderator
First, just so we're clear, nominal voltage in the US is 120 or 240 volts, not 110 and 220.

Generally speaking, washers and gas dryers are 120 and electric dryers are 240.

Have you seen the washer and dryer in the store to see the plugs?

Old 08-29-12, 12:32 PM
"This appliance must be supplied with the voltage and frequency indicated on the rating plate (located at the top of the dryer front panel), and connected to an individual, properly grounded branch circuit, protected by 15-20 amp delay fuses or circuit breaker."
Source: Installation Instructions, followed from the link found on the Sears Appliances page for the GE 24'' Laundry Center w/ Gas Dryer, Model# GTUP240GMWW

From your post:
This appliance should be connected to an individual branch circuit with a three-prong grounding type receptacle. And 120 volt single-phase 60 hz electrical service protected by 15-20 amp delay fuses or circuit breaker.
Your new dryer needs a 120V supply for the controls. It does not need a 240V supply for a heating element.

Old 08-29-12, 10:26 PM
Perfect. I wish Sears wouldn't confuse their customers. I figured it out later when I went to Lowes and looked at some gas models and realized they were 120V. I've been using 240V my whole life on dryers and didn't even realize there was such a thing as a 120V dryer (but then I've never dealt much in gas, so that would explain it). Thanks again. I'm good now.

Old 08-29-12, 10:55 PM
Group Moderator
Just to be clear those weren't 240v dryers. They were 120v dryers with a 240v heat element. The correct way to write their voltage is 120/240 indicating they need an electrical supply that provides 120 volts and 240 volts.

While there are from what some have posted true 240v dryers made for use in the USA they are not common. It is cheaper for the manufacturer to just build a 120v dryer then add either a gas burner or a 240v heat element.