need electrical help, no electricity in one room

Old 08-29-12, 02:27 PM
need electrical help, no electricity in one room

i lost power in one room of a 4 bed room house. some guy came and checked the breaker box and said they were all good. he said there might be another breaker box in the atic.
should i go up there and check?
ive never been in the atic so what can i do
the house was constructed in 06 i think i moved in on 08
let me know what u guys think might be the problem

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-12, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your guy sounds like a real wizard. Double check the breakers by flipping each one off, then back on. Next start looking for GFCI receptacles and reset any that have tripped. Could be in the bedroom or any other room including the garage.
Post back after checking.

Old 08-29-12, 02:42 PM
found one in the kitchen and one in the garage but there fine i reset the and nothing
the room that lost power is between 2 rooms
the 2 rooms on the sides lost power on the outlets that are on the same wall as the room with no power

Old 08-29-12, 03:15 PM
Welcome to the forums!

If all of the breakers are on, then the problem should be an open or failed connection. It is often in an outlet - either the last working one of the first dead one. See Troubleshooting a dead receptacle or light for suggestions on resolving a problem like this.

There should be a minimum of two GFCIs in your kitchen, one in the garage, one for the bathrooms - or each bathroom, one for an unfinished basement, and... if this is a bedroom, none of the GFCIs should affect it.

There might be a subpanel in your attic if you have some of your HVAC equipment there, but it should not feed circuits for the rooms below.

Old 08-29-12, 03:24 PM
i went to double check in the bathroom and theres nothing
but i did see a little sticker on the outlet that said gfci protected
but theres no buttons on it
another thing is
the power went out 2 times before in the same place but it came back after a couple of days but now its been like 2 months

Old 08-29-12, 03:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look in one of the other bathrooms for a GFI. How old is the house?

Old 08-29-12, 03:37 PM
in the bathroom... i did see a little sticker on the outlet that said gfci protected but theres no buttons on it
Then it's protected by a GFCI in a different location. It could be supplied by a GFCI breaker in the panel. That's fine. No GFCI should be protecting the outlets in an ordinary room.

What is the room where you lost power?

What are the rooms on each side, with power out on one wall?

Are any lights out, or are only receptacles affected?

Old 08-29-12, 03:38 PM
How old is the house?
Built in 2006, occupied by the OP in 2008.

Old 08-29-12, 03:43 PM
Lightbulb

its just a normal room 10' 11'
|other room |my room |master bed room |
my room has no power
the walls between my room and the other rooms have no power eather but the rest of their outlets are fine
its just the outlets that aren't working

by the way thank you guys so much for the reply's very great full

Old 08-29-12, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Time to start troubleshooting. Start at the last working receptacle closest to the breaker box and work from there. As suggested brush up on troubleshooting by reading http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rminology.html.

Old 08-29-12, 04:05 PM
how do i check a receptacle?

Old 08-29-12, 04:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ray has a link to a sticky post to guide you.

Old 08-29-12, 04:20 PM
i need something with more detail
should i be doing this if ive never worked with electricity?

this is what i should be looking at right?

Back stabbed Wires. Move any back stabbed wires on the switches and receptacles to the screws.

Wire nuts. Wire nuts and the wires in them can corrode or become loose. You need to remove and check all wire nuts on the circuit. They may be in the receptacle box or at a light or at a switch.

got any pictures?
do i have to turn of the electricity?

Old 08-29-12, 04:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Always turn the power off to avoid shock or electrocution.

Old 08-29-12, 04:48 PM
i looked at one of the outlets and all 4 wires are backstab wires only one coper wire is screwed
should i just check them all and see if they are lose
i think there is around 10 and 3 switches :\

Old 08-29-12, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
i looked at one of the outlets and all 4 wires are backstab wires only one coper wire is screwed should i just check them all and see if they are lose
i think there is around 10 and 3 switches :\
Best to just move them to the screws. That is the only way to know if they were the problem. Black to brass, white to silver. A bare wire is a ground and it goes to the green screw.

Here is a picture of backstabbs:

Old 08-29-12, 05:29 PM
i looked at one of the outlets and all 4 wires are backstab wires only one coper wire is screwed - should i just check them all and see if they are lose
No, you should make sure the power is off, remove the wires from the backstabs, separate them, turn the power on, and test, using an analog meter, to see if there is 120V between either black-white pair.

Regardless of whether you found power or not, you should splice the whites together with an added pigtail cut from white-insulated wire, protect that splice with a wire nut, and terminate the white pigtail to the neutral side of the receptacle, curling the wire, clockwise around one of the two silver-colored screws. Tighten both silver-colored screws. You should then do the same with the black wires, using black-insulated wire and one of the brass- colored screws.

Mount the receptacle. If you found 120V when you tested each pair of wires, turn the breaker on and see if you have fixed everything. If you didn't find 120V when you tested the pairs of wires for the receptacle you just re-worked, leave the breaker off and move one outlet in the direction you think most likely to be toward the home run from the panel, and open it, remove the wires, and start the process again.

If you found power in the box for the receptacle you just re-worked, but your work didn't fix everything, move to the next receptacle or switch that is away from the panel.

Old 08-29-12, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
You can also just move the four wires to the screws. In someways pigtails are better but not necessary. The important thing is not to use back stab connections.

Old 08-29-12, 05:56 PM
You can also just move the four wires to the screws.
ven377, what Ray says is accurate, but it reminds me of something I forgot to say.

When you pull a receptacle out of the wall to inspect it, look carefully at the little brass bridges between the screws on each side. In order for the circuit to be continuous when you put one wire on each screw, those bridges must be undamaged.

Old 08-29-12, 06:43 PM
|other room |my room |master bed room |
my room has no power
Since your house was built in 2006, the bedroom outlets should all be on AFCI circuit breakers. I assume you have found those breakers in the panel and tested them by pressing the test buttons, and then reset them.

Old 08-29-12, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
When you pull a receptacle out of the wall to inspect it, look carefully at the little brass bridges between the screws on each side. In order for the circuit to be continuous when you put one wire on each screw, those bridges must be undamaged.
But if the receptacle is operated by a wall switch post a picture of it before disconnecting anything.