Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

adding an outdoor subpanel breaker for outdoor outlet and toggle switch

Old 08-30-12, 01:58 AM

Recently I have been talking to an electrician regarding rewiring my back deck. The porch light was an old porcelain with an uncovered receptacle and I could not stand it as there is no awning over the porch. I purchased an outdoor rated porch light for that.

For my next project, I would like to tap into the outdoor wiring to install a subpanel with a single breaker for now at 110v 20 amps. I know the main can handle it, as it is 200 amps, and the house does not even have close to that in breakers. My plan is to run a GFCI outlet and then I have a weatherproof toggle switch box that I plan to wire my air compressor to, this way if there is a problem I can flip the switch.

Is there a way to tap into the junction box below the main breaker that goes into the house. I am going to run the wire from there to the outlet 10 feet away through pvc conduit and also am putting in another ground as the ground is not very good here.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-12, 06:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could just add a new circuit for the receptacle. No need for a subpanel.

If you are thinking about the switch for your air conditioner compressor, there should already be a disconnect near the unit.

Earth grounds have nothing to do with grounding a receptacle or a conduit. They are for high voltage events like lightning and surges.

Old 08-30-12, 08:38 AM
Is there a way to tap into the junction box below the main breaker that goes into the house. I am going to run the wire from there to the outlet 10 feet away through pvc conduit...
If I understand your question, your service has a main breaker installed outside, with the feeders from that travelling through a junction box to your distribution panel inside.

If so, you can probably tap into those feeders to supply the subpanel you're asking about, but doing that will be both expensive and complicated. You will need heavy conductors in a large conduit from the J-box to the subpanel, The subpanel will have to be in a weatherproof NEMA-4 enclosure, you will have to turn off the power to the entire house while you tie the new feeders in, and you might have to replace the junction box with a larger one, to contain the new conductors and the splices.

A new circuit fed from the panel inside would be considerably less expensive and easier than that.

So I'm wondering, did I hear you accurately?

Old 08-31-12, 12:37 AM
The compressor I am referring to is my shop air compressor. I have already hardwired it to a waterproof switch box and through pvc conduit along with an outdoor GFCI outlet to the indoor breaker box, however I was hoping to put it on its own breaker due to the amperage spikes when it kicks on, if I am running much else on that circuit it trips the breaker. I did find out though that that particular circuit in the house is run on all 12 gauge wire and so I am able to swap the 15 amp breaker for a 20

Old 08-31-12, 07:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since you have conduit it should be easy to add another circuit for the outside receptacle and leave the compressor on the existing circuit.