Keep blowing breaker

Old 08-30-12, 08:34 PM
Keep blowing breaker

When we use our microwave and George Forman at the same timef we blow breaker they are both on.It is 20 amp.Can i just buy a 30amp breaker to replace this 20 or will that solve my problem?I have called an electricians for several years and can't seem to get any help. There is probably half a six or eight plug ins on this sercuit. We have thought of moving an appliance to another location but it is handier here,except for making trips to the breaker box. Thanks for any ideas on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-12, 08:59 PM
When we use our microwave and George Forman at the same timef we blow breaker they are both on.It is 20 amp.Can i just buy a 30amp breaker to replace this 20 or will that solve my problem?
Not only will replacing a 20A breaker with a 30A breaker without replacing the wiring not solve your problem, it will create the additional problem that, within a short time, the wiring for that circuit will overheat and start a fire.

Plug one of the two appliances into an outlet on a different circuit. If you continue to let them trip the breaker they're on now, that breaker may become damaged. Not as serious as starting a fire, but still a major headache.

Old 08-30-12, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
We have thought of moving an appliance to another location but it is handier here
If you have modern wiring there should be two 20 amp counter top circuits. You could run the second circuit to the receptacle and split it into two separate plug-ins on different circuits or replace the single gang box with a double gang box and install two duplex receptacles on different circuits.

The wiring for second circuit may be as easy as running FMC in the cabinets. It could probably be done without disturbing the Sheetrock.

Of course the feasibility of this depends on total loads on both counter top circuits.

Old 08-30-12, 09:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Simply put you are trying to do too much on one circuit. If you have a 20 amp circuit you should be able to run 2400 watts worth of appliances. The grill is probably 1000 watts or more along with the microwave load and whatever else is on the circuit.

Old 08-31-12, 08:07 AM
Keep blowing breakers

So it wouldn't do any good or i can't go with a higher amp breaker.Can an electrician remedy this problem without too much problem or do i need to find another circuit that will handle one of the two appliances that seem to be causing this problem?Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-31-12, 08:09 AM
Group Moderator
You need to put these two items on different circuits - how you do that is wide open but you cannot replace the breaker with one of higher amperage.

Old 08-31-12, 08:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Installing a larger breaker could lead to a fire and a new place to live.

Old 08-31-12, 09:33 AM
Group Moderator
Can an electrician remedy this problem without too much problem or do i need to find another circuit
Yes, by running a new circuit but it is an easy DIY project you can do yourself. As stated the combined loads are too great for a single circuit. Code limits any general purpose 120v circuit to 20 amps which is to small for your combined load.