Wiring assistance, please

Old 08-29-12, 07:35 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring assistance, please

Thanks for taking a look at this post. I am struggling to restore this wiring configuration after eliminating a receptacle/branch that was on the circuit. There are two switches on this branch of the circuit, one switch operating a bathroom fan and separate bathroom light (not a fan/light combo, light wires are not seen in photo), the other switch operating an oversink vanity light. Power comes in at the separate light - the very old wire in the first photo, pigtailed with yellow wire nuts. There is no ground on this old wire. The white sheathed wires go to the fan, the black sheathed wire goes to the switches in second photo DSC0004. The switch on the left operates the fan/light, the switch on the right operates the vanity light. I did not change any wiring at the switch box, just opened it up for the photo.

Would you please instruct me as to which wires get connected to which at the junction box? Please let me know if this is not detailed enough, or if you need more info. Thanks!!

Attached Images   

Last edited by Nashkat1; 08-29-12 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Remove formatting
Old 08-29-12, 08:21 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It appears that this was originally wires with a switch loop for the light, and that other loads, and another switch, have been added without changing that. One result of that is that there is no neutral in the switch box, and the neutral conductor for the vanity light appears to have been spliced to the ground conductors. Is that correct?

If so, you will need to replace the black 2-conductor cable with a 3-conductor cable (black, red and white wires, plus a bare ground). If this is a 15A circuit, you should use 14-3/G Type NM (Romex) cable. If it is a 20A circuit, you should use 12-3/G Type NM cable.

Old 08-29-12, 09:09 PM
T
Nashkat1, thank you for the welcome, and for the assistance. I appreciate both.

Yes, the common is wired directly to the ground in the switch box. My apologies for the oversight - it is a 20A circuit. I have 12/3 and can replace the black - that seems the prudent course. What I don't understand is how it was wired before to make everything work. The branch I took out was simply to a receptacle, so I don't see how that could have impacted it. I am not as knowledgeable about electricity as I would like nor, in this case, as I need to be, to understand how it worked before. At this point, I'm thinking it will remain a mystery.

Again, thank you for your kind assistance. This forum is a valuable resource.

Old 08-30-12, 06:57 AM
You're welcome. I do understand how it was wired before, and I could explain how to connect the wires you have to make everything "work" again.

I've, chosen, instead, to focus on suggesting a way to make everything work again and to bring the system into compliance with codes, to the extent possible. Installing and connecting electrical systems is, above all, about life safety.

I'm delighted to hear that you have some 12-3 cable that you can use to replace the 12(?)-2 cable between the light outlet and the switch box. That is a critical first step. This would also be a good time to replace the 14-2 cables between the overhead light and the fan, and between the switches and the vanity light, with 12-2 cable, so that all of the wiring on this circuit is protected by the 20A circuit breaker.

Post back when you have the new cables in, and one of us will explain the way to connect the wires and devices.

Old 08-30-12, 10:47 AM
T
Thanks again, Nashkat1.

I agree wholeheartedly about doing it right/safely, and had already replaced the 14/2 to the fan (while it may not look like it in the photo, the vanity wire is 12/2, as was the black romex). Things were definitely cobbled together.

I have the new wires in place and look forward to your further assistance. Thanks!

Last edited by Nashkat1; 08-30-12 at 11:37 AM. Reason: remove formatting; improve legibility
Old 08-30-12, 12:00 PM
I have the new wires in place
It sounds like you've got everything ready!

In the switch box, splice (twist, trim and cap) the white wire for the vanity light to the white wire in your new 12-3 cable. Cut two 8" pieces of bare conductor (ground). Splice the two cable grounds and the two pigtails (the short pieces) together, and attach one pigtail to the ground screw on each switch. Cut and strip the ends of two black pigtails, splice those to the black wire in the new cable, and attach each black pigtail to one of the screw terminals on each switch. (Curl the stripped wire around the screw, clockwise, crimp it tight, and tighten the screw.) Terminate the black wire for the vanity light to the second screw on the right-hand switch. Terminate the red wire to the second screw on the left-hand switch. Fold the wires into the box, mount the switches and cover the box.

In the ceiling, bond a bare copper pigtail to the metal box with an approved (green, hex-head, 10/32 thread) ground screw. Splice together the two cable grounds, the pigtail, and the braided ground wire from the light fixture. Splice all of the white wires together: house feed, switch feed, fan cable and ceiling fixture. Splice the red wire from the switches to the black wires for the ceiling light and the fan. Splice the black wire going to the switches to the black panel feed wire. Fold the wires into the box, mount the light fixture and turn the power back on.

Old 08-30-12, 05:27 PM
T
Once again, thanks, Nashkat1. Your detailed instructions are very kind, and will be of great assistance. Cheers!

Old 08-30-12, 07:47 PM
You're welcome. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

Old 08-31-12, 08:15 PM
T
Works perfectly, of course! But you already knew that, didn't ya? :-) Thanks, Nashkat1.

Old 08-31-12, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: