Splicing 6 guage wire

Old 09-01-12, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Splicing 6 guage wire

I have three strands of 6 gauge wire, green, white and black, each is 60 feet long. Wire was given to me; problem is I need 70 feet to reach from circuit breaker panel box in the garage to a new 60 amp sub panel circuit breaker box in a newly built shed. Twenty-five feet of this is run underground through a 1 conduit, 18 below ground level.

It will be used only for 120 volt circuits for 4 outlets, a ceiling light and an exhaust fan.

I have two choices: splice a 10 foot piece of wire onto each 60 foot piece or buy and run a whole new wire 70 feet long (210 total feet). The splice box will be located inside the garage, above the ceiling, 9-9 away from the main breaker box.

Its a matter of economics, 30 feet of wire at $2.00 a foot is a whole lot less expensive than $420.00 for 210 feet of new wire.

To hire an electrician to do this will add an additional $475.00 (least expensive bid of three) for a total of approximately $535.00.

True, Im not an electrician, but I am retired and funds are limited. As an experienced handyman, I consider this within my capabilities; but I dont know what to look for to make this splice. Can someone tell me what I need to make these splices? Also, what kind of box should these splices go into?

Yes, I know there is a great deal of harm potential inside the breaker box.

Thank you for your consideration and help.

Dock

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-12, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

The splice box will be located inside the garage, above the ceiling, 9-9 away from the main breaker box.
The splices need to be inside a box and that box, and its cover, need to be accessible. How will someone be able to access this box, uncover it, and work inside it?

If you've got that covered, then it sounds like you've got it.

Old 09-01-12, 08:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
With that small of an expected load you could splice on pieces of #12 and use large blue wire nuts.

Even if you went with 2 #6s you could still use the large blue wire nuts.

Each #6 is 5 cubic inches. You would need a box with at least 30 cubic inches to make the splices if you extended with #6.

Old 09-02-12, 06:48 AM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
I have three strands of 6 gauge wire, green, white and black
I need 70 feet to reach from circuit breaker panel box in the garage to a new 60 amp sub panel circuit breaker box in a newly built shed
Do you really need a 60 amp 120 volt subpanel? You'll probably have a hard time finding a single pole breaker to feed it larger than 50 amps.

Old 09-02-12, 07:19 PM
Ceiling in garage is open and connection box will be readily available and visually marked as to what it is for and what is inside.

Old 09-02-12, 07:36 PM
Splicing 6 guage wire

Please accept my appreciation for your very kind and helpful advice and information. You all have given me real food for thought and cause to do more research; and, to revisit the consideration of possibility hiring a qualified electrician.

Dock

Old 09-02-12, 08:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You don't really need to hire an electrician. You just need to use the right materials for the job. You don't even need a subpanel for two 20 amp 120 volt circuits just a multiwire circuit and a two pole disconnect at the detached building. You only need four #12s if the distance between shed and garage is 70 feet. Considering the cost of a subpanel, a 60a two pole breaker, and GEC you wont need you may even come out cheaper buying new wire, 20 amp two pole breaker, and an un-fused AC disconnect or 2-pole switch and 4x4 box.

P.S. A good electrician won't try to jerry-rig it with used materials and will charge you a lot more when you count labor and the correct materials.