Reversed HOT & NEUTRAL?

Old 09-02-12, 09:52 AM
Reversed HOT & NEUTRAL?

My son accidently cut the cord to my clock radio, he attempted to wire it back together but he wired green to green, black to white and white to black! Not color to color! When it's plugged in will the breaker immediately blow or will the clock radio work?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-12, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Nope, it will work but it needs to be wired correctly for safety. Electricity can't see colors.

Old 09-02-12, 11:38 AM
I'm assuming the safety factor is the wires possibly getting hot?

Old 09-02-12, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
No. The neutral, the white wire, should be on the terminal it was engineered for. It may not make a difference with a radio but it is just good practice.

An example where it is important is a lamp. The threaded shell should be connected to the neutral because if you accidentally touch the metal base of the lamp while it is still in contact with the lamp socket and you are in contact to ground there could be a path for electric to flow through your body. No problem if it is the neutral (grounded conductor) because it is about the same potential as ground. However if the black wire (ungrounded conductor) that is hooked up to the shell then there is a difference of 120 volts and you could receive a lethal shock.

If the radio does not have a polarized plug, one wide blade and one narrow blade or a three prong plug I wouldn't worry. A plug with two narrow blades means it can be plugged in with either wire connected to neutral. However it sounds like you have a 3-prong plug so just hook it up correctly.

Old 09-02-12, 01:17 PM
Excellent info, thank you! Now lets say it's a window air conditioner and not a clock radio? I'll explain my logic after the answer!