Installing Leviton ODS10-ID

Old 09-03-12, 03:58 PM
Installing Leviton ODS10-ID

I have a GFCI receptacle and two light switches in my garage. (One light switch controls lighting for the garage, and the other controls lighting for a small storage alcove attached to the garage.)

I'm trying to install a Leviton ODS10-ID, a light switch with an occupancy sensor. (It has been discussed at least once here.) The light switch is powered by 3 wires: a black (feed), a blue (load), and a green (ground).

I've installed light switches before, but this particular fixture box has me stumped. The fixture box has two 2-conductor cables (black, white, and bare) and one 3-conductor cable (black, red, white, and bare). Here's a picture of the setup with the current light switch.

How do I install the Leviton ODS10-ID? I've already blown one.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-12, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
The light switch is powered by 3 wires: a black (feed), a blue (load), and a green (ground).
No, powered by 2 wires, a black and blue. In normal operation the green should carry no current. Try house black to switch black and house red to switch blue. If that doesn't work reverse them. If you have a multimeter or test light but not a non-contact tester measure red to ground and black to ground (or neutral if ground doesn't work). The lead that is 120 volts goes to the hot in lead of the switch and the one that shows little or know voltage goes to the switch out. Note this switch will not work with CFL bulbs or fluorescent fixtures.

Old 09-03-12, 07:00 PM
Note this switch will not work with CFL bulbs or fluorescent fixtures.
Why won't this work with fluorescent fixtures? My garage lights are fluorescent lights.

Old 09-03-12, 07:12 PM
Oh, I just noticed this switch uses dimming... that's probably what you're getting at. Time to find another switch.

Thanks for your advice!

Old 09-03-12, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
It won't work because the switch is powered by drawing a slight current through the light to power itself. That will cause fluorescents to flash or try to start. You need one with a neutral, a white wire. The white will go to the bundle of whites at your switch.

Old 09-11-12, 12:38 AM
I wanted to thank you for the advice! Black to black and blue to red worked. (I tried this the first time but I must've had a loose wire that time).

Also, for the record, the switch works great with the fluorescent lights in my garage despite not having a neutral wire.