Asbestos?

Old 09-04-12, 10:09 PM
Asbestos?

Hi I am staying in a hotel built in 2004 in NYC. There is an LG flat screen mounted to the wall with some cable wires underneath it. There was a lot of thick dust on the wires and I am wondering if it could be asbestos because it looked different to me. Please look at the picture and let me know.

Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-12, 10:40 PM
I am by no means an expert but I would say it looks like common house dust however dust is not good to breath in so I would stay away from it. According to sources that I read on the internet asbestos hasn't been used in this country for anything in a very long time as far as construction is concerned. There are still mines believe it or not around the world and things are still being made with asbestos but nothing that goes into this country at least from what I read. Here is the link to the Wikipedia article Asbestos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I Hope this helps you and welcome to the forum.

Old 09-05-12, 01:53 AM
That looks like nicotine-tinted dust. Asbestos hasn't been used in building materials since the 1970s.

Old 09-05-12, 05:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
..... and I'm not sure you can identify asbestos just by looking at the dust. Looks like the hotel could use better maids - or adjust their schedule so they can spend the time to do a better job.

Old 09-05-12, 09:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the hotel was built from the ground up in 2004, there's absolutely no chance whatsoever of asbestos being present. If it was an older (early 1900's) building that was RENOVATED into a hotel in 2004, then yes it would be possible for it to be present, but highly unlikely considering the building wouldve been required to undergo abatement during the renovation. Asbestos fibers look like tiny needles. They don't curl like that. That's dust. If that's the way they maintain the hotel I'd be more concerned about bedbugs.

Old 09-05-12, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
I think this is just regular dust but that still makes it disgusting and something which should be pointed out to management.

Old 09-05-12, 03:59 PM
You would not find cables wrapped in asbestos hooked up to a flat screen TV. That is absurd.

Old 09-05-12, 04:18 PM
I am staying in a hotel built in 2004 in NYC. There is an LG flat screen mounted to the wall with some cable wires underneath it. There was a lot of thick dust on the wires and I am wondering if it could be asbestos because it looked different to me. Please look at the picture and let me know.
It is impossible for anyone to tell, from looking at a picture, whether anything seen in it might or might not be asbestos. It is also impossible to tell, by looking directly at some dust, whether it might or might not be asbestos. That can only be determined by a chemical analysis.

It is also next-to-impossible that a building completed in 2004 contains any asbestos, since it was not available on the market then.

Old 09-05-12, 10:28 PM
I'm thinking this is the same person that has asked these ridiculous asbestos questions several times under different user names.

Old 09-06-12, 04:27 PM
That would be a strange mental illness.

Old 09-06-12, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
ROFL... that would be hilarious if its the same guy. His location is always "NY".

It's also incorrect to make a blanket statement and say that asbestos is no longer used. It's still incorporated into some products... but asbestos in its most dangerous forms (friable asbestos) has been taken out of use.

Old 09-06-12, 09:02 PM
It's also incorrect to make a blanket statement and say that asbestos is no longer used. It's still incorporated into some products... but asbestos in its most dangerous forms (friable asbestos) has been taken out of use.
Hmm... Live and learn. Is it still used in any building materials?

Old 09-06-12, 09:28 PM
Group Moderator
It's a common misconception that ALL asbestos is "banned". It is more correct to say that asbestos use is now "regulated". Only "some" asbestos containing products have been completely banned because they have been deemed hazardous...

Old 09-06-12, 11:13 PM
I would say it is more true to say that asbestos has been almost completely banned and that 99% of it is no longer used in the United States. Now if you are talking about Russia and even some of Canada that wouldn't be true.

Old 09-07-12, 02:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Who is to say we don't get it in products we import from China? Hey, they send every other poisonous substance to our kids, why not asbestos? And we're too stupid to regulate their imports, so it's our own fault.