Adding to a manual transfer switch

Old 10-04-12, 05:22 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding to a manual transfer switch

I'm installing a 100 amp manual transfer switch in my generator shack. It is fed from the meter and 100 amp main breaker on the house via conduit and then another conduit to returmn to the house panel. The transfer switch is a Square D double pole and is in a rather large box with multiple knock-outs and plenty of room. Can I tap off the main (#2) wires in the transfer switch box to supply a sub-panel in the generator shack? Seems okay to me since the whole thing is downstream of the 100 amp main and I'll be using #2 wire to the sub-panel which is rated for 100 amps. Anyone out there?

Old 10-04-12, 06:37 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Is this the way your service is connected? Incoming power>meter>circuit breaker (with neutral and equipment ground bond)>100 ampere transfer switch>house circuit breaker panel? If so, every panel AFTER the first circuit breaker is a sub-panel and needs to have the neutral and equipment grounds separate. This means that you need FOUR wires (hot, hot, neutral and equipment ground) running from the first circuit breaker to all subsequent switches and circuit breaker panels.

As long as you do this you can add as many sub-panels as you desire. You DO need to follow the instructions as to how many conductors are attached to each pole of a switch or circuit breaker. Usually this is one only but sometimes you can use two, it depends upon the manufacturer and the UL listing. You CAN "pigtail" three conductors together with an approved connector and run the pigtail to the connector allowing only a single conductor.

So, yes, you may add a sub-panel to the generator shed and you may connect this sub-panel to either the utility supply, the generator supply or the transfer switch output as you desire. You could even add three sub-panels, one on each supply and the switch output.

Old 10-04-12, 11:30 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Furd; and yes, it is the way you list and I've got the neutral/ground issue under control. Those nice Burndy connectors will make short work of it and I'll have it all buttoned up before the snow flies. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: