GFCI Outlet for outdoor usage - NEC 2008 Compliant

Old 09-06-12, 08:50 PM
GFCI Outlet for outdoor usage - NEC 2008 Compliant

I bought a GFCI outlet and there was no details on the box stating that it wasn't for outdoor installation. However, on the back of the GFCI, it states that its not for wet of damp locations. I will have an outlet cover installed regardless of the GFCI I am using and this outlet cover is NEC 2008 Compliant. See image below of outlet cover.

Question: Does installing this outlect cover, which is NEC 2008 Compliant, make the non-compliant GFCI installation compliant or will I need to install a GFCI outlet that is NEC 2008 compliant?

Thanks,
Joe

PS - the GFCI I bought is this one: N7599-KGY > Non Tamper-Resistant Duplex > GFCI Receptacles > Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) > Electrical Wiring Devices > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-12, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The GFCI itself is not rated for wet locations, but the cover, when applied to a weather proof box apparatus, with the gaskets in place will provide weather protection. You can't just apply this cover to a box that will leak, of course, so proper precautions should be taken for the entire installation.

Old 09-07-12, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Outdoor GFIs are now required to be marked as "Weather Resistant". Typically there is a WR on the face. You will need to use one of these.

Old 09-07-12, 10:28 AM
I'm curious. Are standard receptacles mounted outdoors also now required to be marked as "Weather Resistant"? The common practice around here is to use standard receptacles outdoors, GFCI protected from inside the house.

Old 09-07-12, 01:38 PM
Thanks All. I will be going back to the store to pick up a "WR" GFCI outlet.

Appreciate all the input.

Old 09-07-12, 06:41 PM
I'm curious. Are standard receptacles mounted outdoors also now required to be marked as "Weather Resistant"? The common practice around here is to use standard receptacles outdoors, GFCI protected from inside the house.
My understanding from the 2008 NEC is yes. Check 406.8(A). The language states, "ALL nonlocking 15 and 20 ampere 125 and 250 volt receptacles shall be a listed weather-resistant type."

Old 09-07-12, 06:46 PM
The language states, "ALL nonlocking 15 and 20 ampere 125 and 250 volt receptacles shall be a listed weather-resistant type."
Thanks. I'm going to look for those at BigBox, just for shiggles.

Old 09-07-12, 06:56 PM
It's always good to know where they are available, but actually, I haven't seen an inspector looking for the weather resistant markings yet. The largest AHJ in this area amended that requirement from the 2008 code for residential applications, but the code doesn't differentiate between residential and commercial. I can only assume the commercial inspectors just haven't caught up with that requirement yet, but they will.

Old 09-07-12, 07:06 PM
The largest AHJ in this area amended that requirement from the 2008 code for residential applications, but the code doesn't differentiate between residential and commercial. I can only assume the commercial inspectors just haven't caught up with that requirement yet, but they will.
That's interesting. Around here, in all the AHJs, the commercial inspections tend to lead the residential in picking up quickly and being picky on those sections that apply to both.