Moving service head, cutting into vinyl siding

Old 09-10-12, 03:44 PM
Moving service head, cutting into vinyl siding

Hi

Recently purchased a house and am looking to upgrade its service to 200A. I notified POCO and they dropped me off a notice saying that I had to move my service head to the highest point of the house. Makes sence.

I'm just wondering how I should go about cutting into the vinyl siding. Should I just do it and fix it later?

Name:  siding2.jpg
Views: 2424
Size:  28.0 KBName:  siding1.jpg
Views: 2401
Size:  27.0 KB

They wanted a 45 to the highest point. I assume I could do it under the soffit/eave?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-12, 04:18 PM
I'm just wondering how I should go about cutting into the vinyl siding. Should I just do it and fix it later?
Here, the service feed would be installed on the face of the siding. The siding would be continuous behind it.

They wanted a 45 to the highest point. I assume I could do it under the soffit/eave?
Or they could want it above the roof. I would ask them. BTW, how are they done on your neighbors' houses?

Old 09-10-12, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would question whether or not they wanted it above the roof. Under eave connections are rarely made in our area, due to adjacent window problems and clearances. I know you don't have any windows, but they are figuring that someday you may want one.

Old 09-10-12, 04:42 PM
You won't be able to reuse that meter pan or the conductors from the weatherhead to the pan or the pan to the panel, so basically I don't see how you can reuse any of what's there. Most likely the existing conduit will be too small for the required conductors for 200A (2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum) so you'll have to run everything new anyway. Just cut the new standoff clamps through the siding and run the pipe straight up the surface. Use a 90 at the bottom to run over to where the existing LB is. And yes, you will likely have to run it all the way up through the soffit and roof.

Old 09-10-12, 05:09 PM
The meter is 200A* and the current conduit is 53mm which is why I was going to reuse. If I have to go through the roof I will start new.

Thanks for your input!

*Ah yes the meter pan. It is clearly tiny and I will have to fix that. Thanks

According to my local code I may need an external disconnect because the pipe to the meter from the LB runs in a crawlspace about 1m to the panel in basement.

Old 09-10-12, 07:09 PM
the current conduit is 53mm
That's 2" conduit? Sure doesn't look that big.

According to my local code I may need an external disconnect because the pipe to the meter from the LB runs in a crawlspace about 1m to the panel in basement.
I can see the pipe between the meter and the LB. Are you describing the pipe between the LB and the main distribution panel?

I'm just wondering how I should go about cutting into the vinyl siding.
OK, I'll bite. Why are you asking this question? What part of doing this requires cutting into the vinyl siding?

Old 09-10-12, 08:20 PM
If I had to guess he wanted to partially bury the 'extension' in a manner similar to the original.

And I agree, that doesn't look like 2" pipe. More like 1-1"

Old 09-10-12, 08:46 PM
If I had to guess he wanted to partially bury the 'extension' in a manner similar to the original.
That's what I was thinking too. My guess on that is that the siding company butted up to the mast instead of easing it away and running behind. Regardless of how it got to be the way it is, this seems like the opportunity to correct it.

And I agree, that doesn't look like 2" pipe. More like 1-1"
Hmm... 2" OD? I wonder.

Old 09-11-12, 02:36 AM
It looks as if the SE was already on the house when the vinyl siding was done, and the installer Jchannel'ed around the conduit, which will leave a bare spot if it is removed, and will require additional cutting and jchannel if a larger size conduit is used.

Old 09-11-12, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
To summarize what others have said what you see is not normal new construction installation so don't base what you need to do on that. The installation was done first and years later the vinyl siding was installed. The vinyl is normally not cut.

Best approach is to abandon, maybe remove,* what you have there since the meter socket also need replacing. You would install a new 200 amp meter socket and 200 amp breaker either combined or separate units directly below where the electric company wants the new weather head. One 2" (inside diameter) conduit would extend up to the weather head and run would down and into the basement (if it is an unfinished basement) and over to the existing panel. If the basement is finished it could run along the outside and enter the basement where the existing panel is. It would be converted to a subpanel.

All conduit would be surface mounted. No cutting into the siding. Best practice is to extend the conduit that goes up through to roof about one and a half feet. The drop from the pole fastens to the conduit (mast) above the roof.

*What to do with the abandoned service depends on if you can get matching replacement siding.

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 09-11-12 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-11-12, 04:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is Type SE cable allowed in your area?

I doubt that you need to go past the roofline. You should have plenty of clearance on the building to install the weatherhead and maintain the ground clearances.