receptacles not working

Old 09-12-12, 08:19 AM
receptacles not working

Hello all I am new to the forum but not new to forums,i have bit of an issue I was reasigned to Miltrary Hospital in georgia, my time here I brought a Foreclosure home a beautiful one well i rehad most of it but the problem come with some of the receptacles not working in room were there are working ones. like both of my garage doors wont open and some of my light switches wont work as well

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-12, 08:33 AM
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you're looking for advice on how to troubleshoot the non-working receptacles and light switches in your home. We can help you with that, but we will need more specific information to shape our advice. In the meantime, a good place to start is by reading Troubleshooting a dead receptacle or light + Basic Terminology.

It would also help us understand your situation if you would fill in the location information in your profile.

Old 09-12-12, 09:50 AM
thank you for the info, at work so Iam doing this on the fly

Old 09-12-12, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
My rule of thumb in cases like this is to map the circuits - if part of a circuit is dead, you likely have an issue at the last good or first bad receptacle/switch/fixture on the circuit. If the whole thing is dead, it's more likely the breaker but could be the first receptacle.

Old 09-12-12, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
both of my garage doors wont open
In newer homes garage receptacles should be on a GGFCI. Have you looked for a tripped GFCI? Have you turned the breaker all the way off then on?

Old 09-14-12, 07:26 AM
checked that and the breaker aswell. i am lost at this point

Old 09-14-12, 07:46 AM
Group Moderator
You may not have found the right GFCI receptacle - there are often several in a home and they can be in very counter-intuitive locations.

Old 09-14-12, 08:31 AM
checked that and the breaker aswell. i am lost at this point
A tripped circuit breaker cannot be reset to ON directly from the TRIPPED position. To reset it, you must push the handle to the OFF position and then push it ON.

If you know "the breaker" for one of your dead, or partially dead, circuits, then you are on your way to mapping the circuits, as Mitch suggested. Continue working to complete that, and note any receptacles or lights you can't determine the circuit for. That may give you answers immediately, or you can post your results and any remaining questions back here.