romex trasition to/from raceway code

Old 09-13-12, 07:23 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
romex trasition to/from raceway code

i have read many posts and saw conflicting answers so i thought will try to ask again in a simplified manner.

the situation is:: in a dry living space, i need to run a 6' length of single 14/2 romex on the surface. the cable enters the room from a hole in the wall, then there is a 6' surface run and then to a wooden chase (fake beam). the fake beam is pretty wide and tall so the cable will always be more than 1-1/2" from any surface .

questions:
1. does the code allow running the romex (without stripping sheath) in a legrand V500 wiremold (or similar) raceway (yes or no)?

note- i understand the ideal is individual TNNH wires

2. is it code-compliant if i strip off the sheath of the romex for the portion it is in the raceway? (of course using proper fittings for transition in and out of the raceway) yes or no?

note- looking for the definite code-compliance answer, not a judgement on this practice; i understand this may not be the best practice as the wires within romex are not marked with ratings

(note 2. life is not always the best practice)

3. instead of the metal raceway, does the code allow covering the surface-run romex in plastic raceway (not a conduit). yes or no? (seen both answers) and my question is not on the quality of the job but that of code.

thanks

ps...as far as the romex in the fake beam is concerned, i can always use a conduit since it will not be visible

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-12, 09:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
The NM can be sleeved in the wiremold raceway. There are slip in bushing to smooth the edge.

Do not strip the sheath.

Whether plastic raceway or metal is required would be determined by if the cable was subject to damage.

Old 09-13-12, 10:32 PM
D
thanks pcboss.

re "subject to damage"..seems subjective. here is the situation and pls tell if it is subject to damage--

it is in my family room, the surface wire will start from a wall box (about 4' above ground) and extend to the ceiling.

Old 09-14-12, 08:05 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Any wiring within 4' AFF would be considered to be subject to damage. Use the metal wiremold.

Old 09-14-12, 06:42 PM
D
thanks ..nashkat1, appreciate the specifics