2 Switches to 1 Switch and 1 Receptacle?

Old 09-13-12, 08:35 PM
2 Switches to 1 Switch and 1 Receptacle?

I have a double receptacle that was providing 2 switches from same wire... a hall light and a window fan. Window fan is never used. Is it possible, or how would I wire the double receptacle to retain the hall light and to replace the window fan switch with a 2 outlet receptacle. Can either be piggy backed off of the other or do I need to run new wire? Thanks.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 09-13-12 at 09:17 PM. Reason: edited in error
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-12, 09:13 PM
Welcome to the forums!

We will need some more information to answer your question. Specifically, how is the receptacle wired, how are the switches wired, and how is the window fan connected to a switch?

Some pictures of the wiring would probably help us see what you have now. See How To Include Pictures.Thanks!

Old 09-14-12, 11:19 AM
Thanks for responding. Sorry about no pictures. What I have and what I want to know is... is it possible to piggyback a plug-in receptacle (for running vacuum cleaner etc) off of a light switch(both would live in same box and powered by same wires from light switch). I'm rusty on my ac, but I think adding the plug-in receptacle would put the light switch in an "always on" mode. Can this be accomplished without running any wire to the fuse panel using existing wiring?

Old 09-14-12, 02:17 PM
When I said
Originally Posted by Nashkat1
We will need some more information to answer your question,
I probably should have said
We will need some more [specific, or clearer] information to answer your question.
For example, when you say
Originally Posted by peedlej
I have a double receptacle that was providing 2 switches from same wire.
Are you saying that you presently have a duplex receptacle and two switches that are on the same circuit, and are fed by the same cable?

And when you ask
is it possible to piggyback a plug-in receptacle (for running vacuum cleaner etc) off of a light switch(both would live in same box and powered by same wires from light switch).
are you asking whether it is possible to replace one of the two switches in a 2-gang box with a receptacle?

If so, the answer is "probably." What you will need to do that depends on how the switches and the receptacle are wired now.
Originally Posted by Nashkat1
Specifically, how is the receptacle wired, how are the switches wired, and how is the window fan connected to a switch?

Old 09-14-12, 03:10 PM
You'e noticed my shop talk is not very good. I do appreciate you taking the time to help. I'll try using homedeopt as ref.

In hallway, I have box with 2 single throw switches...
a) is for hallway light
b) is for attic fan

They are not wired together. They each have their own 2 wires. Attic fan is no longer being used. It would be nice to have an outlet there for plugging in vacuum cleaner etc.

On each side of outlet for hallway light, there are 2 screw on terminal post. One set is for light. I was wondering if there was someway to use the existing wiring to add an outlet by wiring it to the terminal posts on the other side of the light switch and have light off/on not be stuck in "on". I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be capable of running any wire to fuse box. I was hoping for some kind of magical switch or some trick that I as an amateur would not know.

Old 09-14-12, 04:00 PM
You'e noticed my shop talk is not very good... I'll try using homedeopt as ref.
Thanks. This is much clearer.

You can replace the switch for the attic fan with a receptacle, or add a new receptacle at standard height below the switch box, if you have a complete circuit in the switch box, or can make one there (a complete AC circuit is 1 hot and 1 neutral).

I have box with 2 single throw switches... They are not wired together. They each have their own 2 wires.
How many cables are in the 2-gang switch box? Are there any white wires? Are the two wires on the attic fan switch both black, or is one white - maybe tagged with black tape?

On each side of outlet for hallway light, there are 2 screw on terminal post. One set is for light.
Are there two 2-conductor cables in the receptacle box, and does one of those cables run to the 2-gang switch box?

I was wondering if there was someway to use the existing wiring to add an outlet by wiring it to the terminal posts on the other side of the light switch and have light off/on not be stuck in "on".
Not exactly. In fact, I'm not sure what you're envisioning. But having a new receptacle in the hallway sounds possible.

Just let us know what the situation is now.

Old 09-14-12, 04:37 PM
Just so I don't create any more confusion... lets forget the attic fan cause its not really relevant. This is an older home with no ground. 2 wires only.

I have a light switch in my hallway. I want to add an additional receptacle next to it using the light switch for power... on left side of light switch are 2 terminals where wires attach from fusebox(1 white, 1 black, one from fusebox other from overhead light?). On the other side of light switch are 2 empty terminals. Is it possible to wire those 2 terminals to a new outlet(box is double-gang)?

My concerns...
If I piggyback directly off of the light switch, to an outlet, I put the light in constant state of on.

Is there some kind of combination light switch/receptacle that would work using the existing wiring. Is there some trick to making the current light switch work with a new receptacle using only the two wires that are fed into the gangbox?

I am ok with receptacle only working when light switch in on (I'd prefer not to have to turn it on though). I've had trouble explaining to the people at home depot what I want to accomplish so I understand why I might be confusing you.

What are my options here?

Old 09-14-12, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
I want to add an additional receptacle next to it using the light switch for power..
Only if it has a a power cables running to it consisting of a hot and neutral.
1 black, one from fusebox other from overhead light?
No that is most likely a switch loop from the light. It is not a complete power source the white is not a neutral. It is the hot from ter light and the black is the return hot to the light therefore it can't be used for a receptacle.
On the other side of light switch are 2 empty terminals.
I don't understand. Are you saying the light switch has four screws?
Is there some kind of combination light switch/receptacle that would work using the existing wiring.
Not unless there is a source of power in the box you haven't told us about. Are there any cables other then the one to the switch?

Old 09-14-12, 05:02 PM
I'm finally beginning to understand this. Thanks. The 2 wires at the box are a loop for the light switch. Without runnng add'l wiring, I'm up proverbial creek. I do appreciate your time. If I pursue this, I will use electrician. I think I'm going to figure out the "upload picture thing" before any more posts!

Old 09-14-12, 05:09 PM
Old 09-14-12, 06:24 PM
Your link is interesting, but inaccurate - or I didn't understand it. Glad it worked for you.

If we've said this before, I apologize. The single best resource for understanding, learning and reference for residential electrical systems that we've found is Wiring Simplified. You may find it in the electrical section of your local BigBox HI center, or you can just order it online.

lets forget the attic fan cause its not really relevant.
There's not a second switch in a 2-gang box in the hallway, and only one 2-conductor cable enters that box?

Old 09-14-12, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
This link made it more clear for me
Clear as mud to me.