Doorbell Transformer

Old 09-14-12, 12:59 PM
Doorbell Transformer

Doorbell hasn't worked for awhile. Opened chime box and one of the plungers was stuck. I unstuck it and tested it. It worked(one time... got stuck). A supplier near me has Heath-Zenith door chime w/o transformer. Transformer obviously works. Can't locate transformer. Chime is branded nutone and house was built @1960. The heath chime is 16vac 10 or 15 watt. If I replace the chime, is there going to be a problem if original transformer is a little higher voltage i.e. 20vac? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-12, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
16V seems to be pretty standard...why do you think yours is higher? Does the old chime have a voltage requirement? Or did you use a meter to check the voltage.

I doubt there will really be a problem either way, slightly higher is better than lower. The important thing is the Va rating...too low and it prob won't work or will burn out.

Old 09-14-12, 01:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your transformer was original to the house, it will be undersized if anything, probably around 12v. I would change the transformer as well. Look adjacent to your furnace air handler. I think that is where I find 50% of them. Other than that, it could be in a box behind your existing chimes.

Old 09-14-12, 02:09 PM
I had noticed that some of the older nutone(on web) were higher voltage. I've had a look for the xformer with no luck. Chime is only 20.00 so I'm going to have a go at just replacing it. Thank all for the help.

Old 09-14-12, 02:35 PM
I've had a look for the xformer with no luck. Chime is only 20.00 so I'm going to have a go at just replacing it.
Where do the wires from the chime lead back to?

Old 09-14-12, 02:55 PM
They wander off into the wall. I had read to check the voltage on it, but gave up on looking for it. Both the furnace and fusebox have been replaced within last 10 years. I thought of attic, but it is crammed full of stuff. I guess if replacing it does not work, I'll be unloading attic or go to wireless. Thanks

Old 09-15-12, 11:25 AM
I also have a 60ís house. My transformer was mounted on the side of the junction box, which itself was mounted to the bottom of the floor joist, for an old pull chain porcelain light fixture in the basement. Not very noticeable (to me anyway). Donít know how common that was, but maybe there is a small chance thatís where it would be in your attic.

Pros would probably know most likely locations.

Old 09-15-12, 12:03 PM
Basically anywhere a constant, non switch power supply was, in an out of the way space, still not hidden from view.

Old 09-15-12, 12:26 PM
Group Moderator
Start flipping off 15 and 20 amp single pole breakers till you lose power to the transformer. By checking what other lights/receptacles are off when that breaker is off you should then be able to get an approximate location for the transformer.

Old 09-15-12, 02:04 PM
My original transformer was 20v. Figured that out when I kept burning out lighted buttons..

Old 09-15-12, 05:35 PM
My transformer was mounted on the side of the junction box, which itself was mounted to the bottom of the floor joist, for an old pull chain porcelain light fixture in the basement
This is probably the most common location in houses with basements, but I have seen them at the service panel, in attics covered with insulation and even once saw one buried in a wall getting it's power from a receptacle box.

Old 09-18-12, 03:09 PM
Replaced the ding-dong part and it works great. Thanks all.

Old 09-18-12, 03:58 PM
Glad you fixed it, and thanks for the feedback.