run circuit thru subfloor

Old 09-15-12, 07:42 PM
run circuit thru subfloor

I'm looking for put an island in my kitchen.... the current kichen is a concrete slab with 3/4" plywood subfloor nailed to it (original kitchen)- I need to run power to the island- Rather than chisel thru or under the slab, can I somehow channel thru the plywood subfloor and lay the cable there?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-12, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
The pros will have to say for sure but my thought is cut out a 1" wide channel in the plywood and lay in 1/2" rigid conduit (not EMT or PVC) then Bondo flush with the plywood. You may to still chip out a quarter inch of concrete.

Old 09-15-12, 08:43 PM
Where will you be bringing the power from? The receptacles in the island will have to be GFCI protected, and may be extended from a protected circuit serving the countertop.

To add to what Ray said, rigid conduit will have to be cut and threaded for every fitting, and you will need to pull individual conductors in it, including an insulated ground. If that is easier than channeling into or tunneling under the slab, then that method should work.

Old 09-15-12, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
Rereading your post this seemed odd to me:
the current kichen is a concrete slab with 3/4" plywood subfloor nailed to it (original kitchen)
I have never seen that done and am at a loss to understand why it would be. Are you sure? In my area the concrete slab would have been used with out plywood. If plywood was installed it would be to bring the kitchen level with parts of the house that had hardwood flooring over concrete. In that case there would have been one-bys under both the hardwood floor and the kitchen plywood. If that is true then running rigid conduit should be even easier. You might even be able to use schedule 80 PVC.

Old 09-16-12, 02:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've seen it done as a thermal break. Keeps the slab from sucking heat out of tile floors in colder areas. There's probably a layer of thin roll-out CCF between the plywood and slab.

Old 09-16-12, 03:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is your final floor going to be? Tile, wood?? You still may have to chip out concrete, as I think any joint you make in the conduit will exceed 3/4" in height, again depending on your final flooring.

Old 09-16-12, 03:04 PM
Ray- Yes, thanks I double-checked.
There is plywood directly on the cement slab (no clue why)- The rest of the same level does have hardwood floors (so maybe that is why)- making a 1" channel in the wood should not be an issue- what is best way to make the channel in the cement (since it won't be that wide....)

Old 09-16-12, 03:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A diamond blade or a masonry blade in a circular saw will cut a slot. Then you can chip out between the slots.