from single receptacle to double

Old 09-15-12, 04:56 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
from single receptacle to double

I am remodeling bathroom & i want to change receptacle from a single to double i have box in & 2 receptacles in boxed wired can get one to work but not both.
I have 2 black wires & 2 white wires coming in box no ground & i have tried different wiring procedures with no luck.I can get the one to work by black to bronze screw & white to silver but so far can't get power to other receptacle.
i have hooked other 2 wires up same way but still have no power to that receptacle.Thanks for your help & it will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-15-12, 05:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The two cables indicate only one is hot. The other feeds through and possibly energizes lighting. Have you determined which cable is hot? You also have to install GFCI protection in the bathroom. Tell us where the other cable goes.

Old 09-15-12, 06:21 PM
W
Receptable

If i don't hook the other black & white to recepable the fan on air cond. does not work so i have it hooked back the same was it was to start with.Black & white on each side of the one receptable but how do i get power to oyher receptable. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-15-12, 06:44 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can you post a picture to see what we're dealing with?

Old 09-15-12, 06:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Is the air conditioner a window shaker unit? If so you would be better off to install a new circuit either for the bathroom or just the A/C.

Ungrounded circuits should not be extended.

Old 09-15-12, 06:52 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If i don't hook the other black & white to recepable the fan on air cond. does not work so i have it hooked back the same was it was to start with.
There should be no air conditioner connected to a bathroom circuit. Do you mean bath van fan? If vent fan tell us the wiring at the switch? If not a vent fan explain more fully what you mean.

Old 09-15-12, 06:57 PM
W
Don't know how to post picture

OK let me see if i can explain a little better i have 2 electrical cables coming into box & in each individual cable there are 2 wires 1 white & 1 black.In order for the receptable to work i have 1 black & 1 white to one side of receptable & on other side of same receptable i have the other black & white wire which powers the fan for duct work.How do i get power to the other receptable in the same box making it a double instead of the single i had. Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Old 09-15-12, 07:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did the one receptacle feed the duct fan previous to the change to a 2 gang box?

Old 09-15-12, 07:05 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It sounds like the tab(s) between the screws are broken. Are the tabs unbroken? Maybe one half was a switched receptacle and they added the fan to that half. Is the ven and half the receptacle on a different breaker?

Upload your picture to Photobucket or Imageshack (but not Tinypic) and post the URL here.

Old 09-15-12, 07:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the OP has a power in and a power out cable connected to one duplex and wants to feed power to another duplex in the same box.

@OP the bathroom receptacles should be GFI protected. Do you have a GFI receptacle?

Old 09-16-12, 01:13 AM
W
Receptable

The one receptable did feed the duct fan motor before i did anythig with changing wires. I have it hooked back same way it was & fan motor works &anything you plug in receptable also works but i just have the single receptable & want to go to double receptable.Can i jump a wire from receptable thats working to the other receptable i want to add. Thanks for your help

Old 09-16-12, 03:35 AM
Yes, jumper from one receptacle to the other. You will have to pigtail all three blacks and whites since there is only two screws on the receptacle that has power. Where is the switch that controls the fan/lights?

Old 09-16-12, 10:24 AM
W
Receptable

I really do appreciate all the help with Double wall receptable. Thanks alot

Old 09-16-12, 10:40 AM
Did it work? Curious..............

Search this Thread