Running electric to my shed

Old 09-19-12, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running electric to my shed

I have a new shed in my backyard that I would like to add electricity. In addition I have a RV space behind the shed that I would like to install a 30amp service. There will be no heavy electrical needs in the shed, just a radio, 7amp air compressor, hand power tools, ect. No welder or 220 requirements.
The shed is 80' from the main 200 amp (Cutler Hammer) electric panel located in my garage. I have 4 spaces in the main panel with blanks, numbered 15-17 & 16-18.

I plan to use the following material with this project: Eaton 50 amp double pole CH Type breaker #CH250 (for the main garage panel), Square D Homeline 100 amp 6 space 12 circuit indoor flush mount lugs load center with cover no door #HOM612L100FCP (for the sub panel in the shed), Square D Homeline 30 amp two pole breaker #HOM230CP (in the sub panel for the RV space), Square D Homeline 20 amp single pole breakers #HOM120 (for misc plugs and lights inside shed), Connecticut Electric 30 amp RV Power Outlet - CESMPS13HR (mounted on 4x4 post by the RV space).

I will dig a 24" trench between the garage and shed and the shed and RV space. I have 2 wire choices for the run between the garage and shed, Southwire 21469202 UF-B underground feeder cable 6/2 AWG or Southwire 14782702 UF-B Underground Feeder Cable, 6/3 AWG. For the run between the shed and the RV space, Southwire 13056755 UF-B Underground Feeder Cable, 10/2 AWG. All of these Southwire products have a ground wire as well.

I do not know which of the 2 wire choices to run between the garage and the shed or how to connect the breakers. I have an extensive low cap cabling background and would like to learn to do this myself instead of paying the electrician to do the wiring connections. Any comments or direction would be greatly appreciated. I live in an unicorporated area with little to no code restrictions, but it is my permanent homestead and want everything to be done correctly.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-12, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Hi and welcome...

If you could edit your post and break it up into paragraphs it would be helpful.

I do not think too many will read your post. At least I cant. Makes me dizzy.

Old 09-19-12, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have edited the post as suggested. Sorry to make you dizzy!!

Old 09-19-12, 12:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have 2 wire choices for the run between the garage and shed, Southwire 21469202 UF-B underground feeder cable 6/2 AWG or Southwire 14782702 UF-B Underground Feeder Cable
Not really. Code has required 4-wire even if no other metallic paths for several years. You must run 6-3 between the main and the sub.

The subpanel will need a bonded ground bar* in addition to an isolated neutral bar**. All grounds and neutral are separate in the subpanel. The subpanel will also need an eight foot ground rod and a #6 between the ground wire and the ground bar in the sub. The sub will require a main disconnect. If it has a main breaker that will suffice.

If the RV receptacle is 120 volts it can be wired with 10-2 UFB.

*Ground bars must usually be purchased separately.
** Remove any bonding screw or strap if present.

Old 09-19-12, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
As Ray posted, If you use a two pole breaker, you need to use 6/3.