Help with switch and fan

Old 09-20-12, 11:35 AM
Help with switch and fan

I am a complete newbie to electrical. I switched all outlets and switches with new ones. Was an easy job, except for one. There is a fan in the living room that worked off of a switch, when I changed it (switch), it worked fine. Now it does not even respond to the switch, it is always on. So to try to trouble shoot I changed the switch, nothing, same thing. Disconnected the two wires from the switch touched them and then separated them, nothing, same thing. The fan and lights stay on as if they are not even connected to that outlet. What could I have done wrong? I am stumped

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-12, 11:56 AM
There is a fan in the living room that worked off of a switch, when I changed it (switch), it worked fine. Now it does not even respond to the switch, it is always on. So to try to trouble shoot I changed the switch, nothing, same thing. Disconnected the two wires from the switch touched them and then separated them, nothing, same thing. The fan and lights stay on as if they are not even connected to that outlet. What could I have done wrong? I am stumped
That is a stumper!

Just for clarity, you only changed out switches and receptacles, right? You didn't do anything, and haven't done anything, to the wiring above the fan?

Also, when you upgraded the devices, you just swapped wire-for-wire on identical devices? The switch you installed here is the same kind of switch as the one you replaced?

Just one more question: Is the switch for the fan in a box by itself, or does it share a box with some other switches.

That the same thing happens when you just touch the two switch wires together means that the switch was probably OK. That makes sense anyway - this sounds like a problem in the wiring. Hang in there, we can help you fix this. It sounds like it may take a bit of troubleshooting, though.

Old 09-20-12, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
Is there another switch somewhere which also controls the fan? How many and what color wires were attached to the original switch and what is there now?

Old 09-20-12, 12:02 PM
Wow, what a quick response, Thank You. No change at all in the wiring. Changed the switch with a Decorative switch instead, wire for wire, a red wire and a black wire are the only wires in the box. Really cannot find the culprit.

Old 09-20-12, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
wire for wire, a red wire and a black wire are the only wires in the box.
You location doesn't indicate you likely have conduit and if it is cable there should also be a white wire. So which is it cable or conduit? Are there other wires in the box you haven't mentioned.

Is the fan on a down rod so you could just drop the canopy and tell us the wires and connections there?

Old 09-21-12, 03:13 PM
This is what it looks like, as you can see there are wires in the back but the only two that are available for the switch are those two.

Attached Images    
Old 09-21-12, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
In the box you have a 3-conductor cable (red, black, white). Where is the black wire of that cable connected?

Old 09-21-12, 04:24 PM
Do you mean the black that is on the switch? Where that comes from?

Old 09-21-12, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect that a tab was not broken out when the receptacles were changed out. The same poster has another thread going on about this I believe.

Old 09-21-12, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Do you mean the black that is on the switch?
The black of the three conductor. We all ready know the red is on the switch and both shouldn't be* but PCBoss may be headed in the right direction since it worked then didn't work.

*Unless this is a switch loop which also brings power to the switch from the fan but it seems more likely to me power comes into the switch and the 3-conductor cable was run to provide separate switches for the fan light and the fan motor.

Old 09-21-12, 08:10 PM
This is what it looks like, as you can see there are wires in the back but the only two that are available for the switch are those two.
Is your new rocker switch a SPST switch (does it have only two terminals on it)? Is each wire terminated by curling and crimping it clockwise around one of the screws, before tightening that screw, or is either wire pushed into a backstab connector slot?

You need to connect ground to the switch. since the box is plastic.