splicing a cut wire

Old 09-21-12, 12:27 AM
splicing a cut wire

I managed to dril through an existing wire while running a new one. To splice the cut wire, can I use one box and simply splice the cut ends together with short pieces of new wire inside the box? or do I need to have two boxes with the new wire running between and spliced to one end of the cut in each box? If the latter, how far apart do the two boxes need to be, or does it matter? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-12, 02:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Never heard of Hiroshima, Canada, but, then I've not been everywhere. You may want to refine your profile to a more professional one.
Any junction boxes you use must remain accessible and covered, so it could make for an ugly situation if it were in a living room wall. For your situation, if you don't have enough slack between the two cables, using two boxes will be necessary with a jumper between them. Is this in an attic, basement, mid wall,??? The boxes can be laterally on either side of a stud, above each other or separated. Make sure you have enough room for a cover plate on each.

Old 09-21-12, 06:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The electric code requires 6" of free conductor in the box so you will need to use 2 boxes as Chandler stated.