Outlet Problem

Old 09-21-12, 11:36 AM
Outlet Problem

Looks like I have another problem to add to the first one (http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...witch-fan.html). Yesterday switched out a outlet for a new one. Everything worked fine until this morning, plugged something in and nothing. Looked at everything and all screws are tight thought I may have switched the wire around so changed the black wires around, nothing, put them back like they where, nothing. Tried another outlet, nothing, switched the wires around like the first time, nothing. I have 4 wires in total, one white and one black coming form one side of the box, and the same thing on the other side of the box. Originally each black wire went with the opposing white on the receptacle (I think). I have no idea what is wrong, any ideas? Maybe I put the wires on wrong? Maybe wrong combination?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-12, 12:58 PM
Group Moderator
If this is not a GFCI receptacle it doesn't matter which brass screw each black wire goes on and it doesn't matter which silver screw each white wire goes on. Did you use the screws not the back stabs? did you leave the tabs between the screws in place? Have you checked with a multimeter or test light but not a non contact tester to see if one of the cables is hot?

Old 09-21-12, 03:03 PM
This is what it looks like and it is in the restroom, no GFCI. The tabs are not broken, Ray

Attached Images     
Old 09-21-12, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
You need to disconnect the cables and verify one cable is hot as previously suggested.

Old 09-21-12, 04:21 PM
Thanks, Ray. I will do that.

Old 09-21-12, 05:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you reconnect the wires make sure the loops are clockwise.

Old 09-21-12, 07:30 PM
This is what it looks like and it is in the restroom, no GFCI.
This receptacle appears to be in a bathroom, or restroom, from what you said and from looking at the pictures. If so, and the circuit feeding it is not GFCI protected upstream, then you need to install a GFCI receptacle here. If it is GFCI protected upstream, then you need to check to see whether you lost power because that GFCI device tripped.

If you need to supply the GFCI protection here, and you aren't clear about how to connect it, post back. We can help you with that.

Old 09-22-12, 05:51 PM
(The loops being clockwise) Can you explain this a little more, sorry newbie.

Old 09-22-12, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Clockwise is the direction the screws turn when you tighten them so it tends to tighten the loop. Makes a better connection.

Old 09-22-12, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the post and being so helpful, I will try it out

Old 09-23-12, 03:27 PM
Is this receptacle in a bathroom? If so, does it have GFCI protection from a breaker or device upstream?

Note: Wires are not connected to a GFCI receptacle by curling and crimping them around the screws. They are inserted into the back-clamp slots and the screws are tightened to close the clamps. In addition, the wires from each cable must be connected to the appropriate pair of terminals, either LINE or LOAD.