New Service Box Installation

Old 01-25-01, 07:15 AM
Visiting Guest
How close to the corner of my basement can I mount my 200 amp service. I can't keep it 30 inches from the corner because there is a window above on the main level.Do I need to keep it 30 inches, I've seen service boxes closer than 30 inches, there will be nothing in front of the service.
thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-01, 12:42 PM
s1nuber
Visiting Guest
You need to build an imaginary cube around your electric panel for access reasons. These requirements are all found in 110-26 of the 1999 NEC, and are summarized as follows:

Width (left to right) needs to be 30" or the space of the equipment - whatever is greater. This does not mean 30" to the left and 30" to the right of the equipment, but 30" total width.

Depth (front of panel to a point in front of the panel) needs to be 3 feet.

Height (measured from grade or floor to above panel) needs to be 6 1/2 feet, or to the height of the equipment, whatever is greater.

Two notes: the panel door must swing freeley in a 90 degree arc from flush, and no switch or breaker can be installed higher than 6' 7" from grade to the center of the handle.

This means that the 6' 6" high, 30" wide, 3 foot deep cube must have nothing else in it except electrical equipment of similar depth. Walls, furnaces, sump pumps, and water pipes are all examples of forbidden items inside of this cube. An electric sub-panel that is the same depth would be allowed. You can move the panel inside of the box, as in the panel can be located to the far left of the imaginary box, as long as the 30" side to side clearance is maintained.

Good luck with your project!

Old 01-25-01, 02:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Thanks a million!
I have 8' ceiling down stairs, I should have plenty of room.
Dave.