Installing cable jack without box

Old 09-23-12, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing cable jack without box

Recently had our drywall replaced from our house flooding. Our coax cables are now just hanging out of the new wall and I need to install cable jacks. Is there a way I can mount the coax wall plates to the drywall without an electric box in the wall? I'd rather not cut the drywall if I don't have to. I don't seem to remember the cable company ever doing that either. I've found a few articles mentioning television jack mounting brackets but the local home stores don't seem to have those.

Any tips?!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-12, 07:35 PM
You get one of these: 1-Gang Low-Voltage Old-Work Bracket-SC100RR at The Home Depot . You will have to cut the drywall to make the hole it goes into. It's easy to do. This allows you to secure a wall plate to the wall.

Old 09-23-12, 07:51 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
or just put a plate on the cable, push into the wall and screw to the drywall.

Old 09-23-12, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The screws that come with the wall plate are 6-32 machine screws. They are not made for holding in drywall nor in plastic screw anchors. To mount your plates, you need to install the low-voltage old-work brackets that Droo suggested.

Old 09-23-12, 08:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
^^ This. I do network and satellite installs, and I've come across many that people just screw into the drywall and they come right out as soon as you touch them, and when it comes out you can see 3 or 4 holes at the top and bottom where its come out before. It's easier just to install a bracket. They're only a buck and change each and you can use the colored screws that come with the plate, rather than a silver coarse thread screw that you'd need for an anchor or a black drywall screw.

Old 09-24-12, 08:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
Agreed, you could just screw the plate to the drywall, but over time, it'll just fall out.

I personally like this type:
Low Voltage Ring, but there are a couple different types that all work basically the same.

Code-wise, there's nothing wrong with just screwing it to the drywall, but I would still use one of these.

Old 09-24-12, 02:53 PM
Thanks, guys!

I ended up just putting plastic anchors in the wall and using a different screw to attach the wall plate to the anchors. It seems to hold plenty strong. I agree that the old-work boxes would be better, but I just didn't want to make that much of a mess cutting the larger hole. I think it will work just fine since it's only a coax jack and nothing will be pulling on it.

Thanks again!