Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Is there a maximum distance between a transfer switch and breaker box?

Old 09-26-12, 06:31 PM

Does code (or common sense) set a maximum distance between a transfer switch and my main breaker box? The box is hard to get to, I'd like to make the switch more accessible. I could put it pretty close but just thinking it through...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-12, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
I can not find any code requiring the switch to be close to the main panel. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong. I would want it located for ease of installation and operation.

However, it concerns me that you say it is hard to get to your panel. An electrical panel is required to be readily accessible, which means you can get to it without the use of tools, or portable means such as a ladder. Also, the panel is required to be clear in front of the panel 30" wide (does not need to be centered on the panel) and 36" deep.

Old 09-26-12, 07:14 PM
Thanks Tolyn,

Actually it is in a back room in the basement. If we have an outage, I'd rather have the switch in the laundry room or something. Not sure I'll do this or not, still in the thinking stage!

Old 09-27-12, 01:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see no reason code-wise it couldn't be separate from the main panel. You'll obviously need a lot more wire. You also need to be aware of conduit derating if you run a single conduit from your panel to the transfer switch. You can have a maximum of 9 current carrying conductors, which I think would probably mean 3 feeders (H/H/N) and 6 120v circuits. Plus ground which doesn't count as current-carrying. If needed, you could always run two runs of conduit.

Old 09-27-12, 03:32 PM
I'd like to make the switch more accessible.
No reason not to. I'm imagining, since you're planning to put it inside and wondering about accessibility, that you're planning to install a manual transfer switch. Will it be a full-load switch with two feeds in and one feed out to your existing panel, or will it be a critical-loads subpanel fed from the main panel, in addition to the generator feed?

As you're considering this location, how close will it be to the likely spot for your generator inlet?