Adding to a Circuit

Old 09-29-12, 04:53 AM
Adding to a Circuit

I am looking to add power to a new area. It will consist of 2 receptables and 1 light. Here's is my question/verification:

I plan on re-routing the circuit (20AMP Arc Fault, 12/2) from an adjacent room. I will wire the 2 receptables first and then power to the light switch. Now, I need to have a return feed back to the original circuit to close the loop and feed power to the remaining room. Can I pigtail the cable in the light switch to create the return run back to the original circuit?

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-12, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
Now, I need to have a return feed back to the original circuit to close the loop and feed power to the remaining room
Can you explain that in a different way. Power does not need to be a loop. Power can dead end at the last outlet (in this case the light) so what exactly do you mean? At the switch a 2-conductor cable would go to the light. The white of that cable and the white of the power in cable from the second receptacle would be connected together and the blacks to the switch.

Old 09-29-12, 07:24 AM
I would be interrupting a circuit that is connected to an arc fault protected breaker (I need this to run one of the new receptacles to an arc fault breaker). The cable that runs from one receptacle to another on the existing circuit would be interrupted to to add 2 receptacles and one light (if possible). Since I interrupted the original circuit, I need to return a cable back to the other receptacle to feed power the rest of the original circuit.

Or would it make more sense to interrupt the original circuit, pig tail at the first new receptacle, feed back to the orignal circuit, and then continue with the new run from the first new receptacle. Due to box size, I don't think I could pig tail at the first original receptacle. Would a proper box size with a pig tail connection be 20 cu in?

Thanks,

Old 09-29-12, 08:20 AM
I would be interrupting a circuit that is connected to an arc fault protected breaker (I need this to run one of the new receptacles to an arc fault breaker). The cable that runs from one receptacle to another on the existing circuit would be interrupted to to add 2 receptacles and one light (if possible). Since I interrupted the original circuit, I need to return a cable back to the other receptacle to feed power the rest of the original circuit.
Don't interrupt the circuit. All you need to do is to remove the receptacle where you want to get the power, add the new NM B cable (aka romex) and pigtail the blacks, the whites and the ground. Then, reconnect the receptacle to the pigtails and the new leg of the circuit will have power. There is now no need to run a cable back to this box to power the remaining existing receptacles, they are powered through the pigtailing process. This is a simple procedure as long as the box where you are getting the power has sufficient capacity for the added conductors.