Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions about battery and speakers with 240v socket?

Old 09-29-12, 08:37 AM

Well I just have an idea of having my creative speakers being connected to battery (having some troubles with choosing the type of battery : either sla, NiMH or Li-Ion and so that it will be rechargeable and size not more than : lenght 300mm, width 200mm and height of 200mm ) and all this putted in my school bag. I'm just asking is there any ways to get that done? There is my speakers info :
2.5 Watts (RMS) per channel
Frequency Response 90 Hz to 20 kHz
Signal To Noise Ratio 75 dB
Affordable, stereo powered speakers with front-mounted controls.
Green LED indicator indicates on/off status.
Headphone output.
Dimensions - 165mm x 96mm x 101mm
Operating Temperature - 0*C to 50*C
Operating Humidity - 20% to 90% RH
Input - 100-240v~, 50/60Hz 1.5A
Output - 12V, 5.0A 60W MAX.

Just post what you think and I'd be also pleased if got some help with this.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-12, 09:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Speakers need input from a sound source. I don't know why you have to hook batteries up to speakers. For long term use, using large 8 ohm speakers, your battery pack would need another backpack just to provide enough power to energize things. Fill us in more on what this school project is really about.

Old 09-29-12, 02:03 PM
Well, i just want to get a diy speakers for my phone and all this in my bag. It is obviosly that speakers use a lot of power to get the sound wave done, but my phone can't create enough power for them, so i actually want to hook up my speakers to the battery, so that it'll be the same as its original purpouse for home use with 240v socket. As i said the sound source will be either phone, or some mp3 player. And i just want to ask you what tipe of battery is easy to apply for this, and how long will it work and take to recharge, also i need some sort of diagram how to connect my plug from speaker's ac adapter to the battery. I'd say the battery for 4-5 hours would be enough (non-stop) to play music in a park. I really can't explain properly because me english very bad (only kidding.)

Old 09-29-12, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
What's wrong with simply buying a set of amplified, battery powered speakers designed for use with a iPod or MP3? They are commonly available and pretty cheap.

You keep focusing on the battery but that's not the key. You need an amplification circuit. The battery is probably the simplest easiest part of the project. Design an amplifier to power the speakers you want then pick the battery to power it. Still, it would be a whole lot easier and cheaper to spend 20 pounds and get something ready to go.

Old 09-29-12, 02:37 PM
Well yeah, you are probably right. But the hole thing is that i could use any of the speaker set for it. I'm probably confusing you too much, but always wanted to do this, and if you can just give me the link for some sort of help. Thank you

Old 09-29-12, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
I think that your terminology is a bit off.

It sounds as if you have an amplified speaker that takes a wall adapter and you want to operate this from a battery.
Is this correct?

A sealed lead acid battery would be the least expensive option to power a 12v dc device but if you can provide a link to what you are talking about we might be able to tell you more.

Old 09-29-12, 02:55 PM
GregH You are right. I want to build a self powered speaker set with subwoofer. And yes i was think about sla, but idk what power it has to be and so on. Ohh and i found something very similar : Portable Retro Hi-Fi Speaker

Old 09-29-12, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
To answer your question about batteries you need to know what voltage it operates at to be able to select the battery.
SLA batteries are commonly available in 6 and 12 volt voltages.
The ah capacity would depend on how long you want your amplifier to run between recharges.
The 1.3 ah battery shown in the link would run for 1 hour if the amp draw on the amp was 1.3 amps.

You mentioned "my creative speakers" in your question.
Is this what you want to turn into a portable boom box?
If so you would need to know the voltage of the power adapter and if 12 volts DC would only need to make an adapter cord to connect the battery to the computer spkr.

Old 09-30-12, 05:39 AM
XDenasdc posted the specs above: 12 volt, 5A, 60W. A motorcycle battery could do the job, but only for an hour or so, and your backpack will be quite heavy!

Locating a battery that meets the physical size you need won't be a problem, but the 5 amp draw is going to hurt. A battery that will power the device for more than an hour = higher amp-hours.

Old 09-30-12, 10:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I see a deep cycle trolling battery in your future Weight about 25#.