Strange junction box

Old 09-30-12, 11:40 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Strange junction box

In the process of tracing down an unknown circuit in my home, I've found this:

It's above a finished portion of my basement, powered by a 14 gauge cable on a 15 amp breaker. You can see it's attached directly to the joist. The thicker cable is a group of coax that was for a previous tv/cable install, not related. Those are the best photos I was able to get, as I can't get any closer without ripping down the ceiling in the other room.

Any idea what that is? I figure maybe some here knows what I'm looking at...

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 09-30-12, 12:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It appears at first sight to be a door bell transformer box, but very difficult to tell.

Old 09-30-12, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
It looks like a single receptacle device, similar to a range receptacle, but for a 15 amp device.

Old 09-30-12, 02:19 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I'd say simplex 15 amp 120 vots.

Old 09-30-12, 03:37 PM
M
Thanks everyone. Being as it's above a drywalled ceiling and will not be used again, what's the best way to terminate the cable leading to it? Junction box on the joist where I cut the cable, and wire nuts on the wires inside the box? Related, are junction boxes above a false ceiling considered 'accessible'?

The circuit powering this receptacle only powers one light socket additionally, I'll probably relocate that light socket to another nearby lighting circuit and thus open up an additional circuit in my panel. For those that have followed my other posts, this will be a big help.

Old 09-30-12, 04:21 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If this and one light are the only things on the breaker you could disconnect it at the breaker. cut it short, and push it out of the breaker box. Cut as much off the other end also and your done.

Just curious, why did you cut the cable?

Old 09-30-12, 04:33 PM
M
Thanks. I didn't cut anything yet, I was just thinking aloud on how to properly remove that receptacle from service.

Old 09-30-12, 04:52 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Related, are junction boxes above a false ceiling considered 'accessible'?
By false ceiling, do you mean a dropped grid type ceiling with lay-in tiles or pads? If so, yes, that would be an accessible location. FYI....if you have a dropped ceiling of this type in your basement, the cables above it must be run through drilled holes in the joists and may not be stapled under them.

Old 09-30-12, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
All junction boxes are required to be accessible. With that said, if you can eliminate the circuit, or cut it back where a J-box will remain accessible, that would be best.

Old 09-30-12, 05:14 PM
M
There is no false ceiling yet, but in the future I may add one - planning ahead. It would be with lay in tiles. All the existing cables are run through holes drilled in the joists.

Now I'm a bit confused, if I cut the cable leading to that receptacle, making it a completely dead cable, do I have to terminate it inside a J box or can I simply cut the cable and leave it? Basically, I want that recep removed from the circuit, but I'm unable to completely remove the existing cable and recep due to it being above a finished ceiling. My plan is to cut off as much of the cable as I can leading to the recep. I don't know if code says I can leave the dead cable end or if I have to have it terminated inside a J box. I do know that live cable/splices must be in a J box, just not sure on dead cable.

Old 09-30-12, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Dead cable can be left there. No special terminations needed.

Old 09-30-12, 07:04 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I don't know if code says I can leave the dead cable end or if I have to have it terminated inside a J box. I do know that live cable/splices must be in a J box, just not sure on dead cable.
S long as you cut enough off the feed end so that it cannot be connected to power again, then you can leave the load end anywhere and anyhow it's convenient for you. No J-box needed. But, as Ray said earlier,
Originally Posted by ray2047
you could disconnect it at the breaker. cut it short, and push it out of the breaker box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: