Checking for Ground?

Old 01-25-01, 06:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just bought a house built in 1960 and all outlets are 3 prong but most do not have a ground wire?All of the electrical wires run through metal condiut in the walls and attic.My question is,Did they use the conduit itself for ground? How if at all can a person easily check too see if these 3 prong outlets are really grounded or not??Who ever lived here before had added an outlet in the garage and used romex with a ground and wrapped the ground too the inside of one of the metal boxes in the attic?? Is that ok and should that be code?? What am I up against here??? Thanks All Inadvanced. I`ve read alot here and you guys are all great.... Dale....

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-01, 06:23 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have a multimeter or some kind of voltage checker, check for voltage between the plug outlet box and the black/brass color screw of the plug. If you have voltage , it's should be grounded. I assume there is wire from the grounding screw of the plug to the electrical box, there should be voltage between the black wire/brass screw and the grounding screw (possibly green).
NO VOLTAGE - no ground.

Old 01-26-01, 03:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for reply dkerr, will try it.. Take care