Anyone experienced with fixing AC Powered clocks?

Old 10-02-12, 05:23 PM
Anyone experienced with fixing AC Powered clocks?

I just got an older (1992) Budweiser Clydesdale clock & lighted sign. However the clock seems to no longer work. I think something is misaligned or even loose, I think the motor works as I can feel the heat from it, But I don't know if that is an indicator of a working motor or not. The clock is not in the best of shape as it came from a bar years ago
The clock is made by Lanshire
The back of the actual clock motor is marked
Lanshire
Made in USA
Type XL7
105-125V AC Only 60Cycles
I am hoping I can get this clock working again
I can set the clock fine with no binding of the shaft but the clock does not move after I set it
is there a way to determine if the actual clock motor is good or bad? and how would I go about getting this clock to work again?
Thanks

Here are some pictures of what I am dealing with

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-12, 08:34 PM
How is the power cord from the wall connected to the wiring inside the clock? Nice looking piece, BTW.

Old 10-03-12, 04:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Synchronous motors tend to go bad after years. Do you hear the motor running at all when you plug it in? Have you had the motor removed to check the output gearing and meshing?

Old 10-03-12, 07:42 AM
The motor is silent when plugged in, I have not removed the motor to check the gears yet.
Nashkat1 the power cord is connected to a short pigtail that the longer power cord then will attach to. The power cord is non polarized

Old 10-03-12, 12:06 PM
That is a really cheap clock motor. Replacement is the preferred repair and can be done fairly inexpensively. Google for replacement clock motor.

I'll withhold my comments on the entire unit.

Old 10-03-12, 12:58 PM
OK so I took the motor apart and the problem seems to be that the old oil turned into glue of course then binding up the gears (The gears are still in great shape though and the motor turns when plugged in) I have found a Guide on how to reassemble the gear box.I need to know what type of oil should I use to lubricate the gears so they turn freely?
Furd what don't you like about the entire unit?

Old 10-03-12, 01:24 PM
Furd what don't you like about the entire unit?
Okay, you asked.

It is a really cheaply made (plastic) advertising gimmick. Whole thing probably cost $2.95 to make but probably sold for $20 or more. Plus, I don't understand why people like to have corporate advertising in their homes. Add to that my really low opinion of Budweiser beer which is made with RICE. And finally, when it comes to clocks I'm a purist and I want a real mechanical movement, preferably with both multiple chime and strike.

However, if YOU like it then more power to you.

Oh, on oiling the gears...a fish-based clock and/or instrument oil is best but good luck in finding it. Really, a new electric movement is the best thing you can do. If it didn't have the lights in the base I would suggest a battery-driven quartz movement as they are quite inexpensive yet work well. You can even get chiming quartz movements.

Old 10-03-12, 07:16 PM
If it didn't have the lights in the base I would suggest a battery-driven quartz movement as they are quite inexpensive yet work well. You can even get chiming quartz movements.
A battery-driven quartz movement might still be the best option and leave the lights in a switchable mode.

Old 10-03-12, 08:50 PM
A battery-driven quartz movement might still be the best option and leave the lights in a switchable mode.
I agree, too. Plus I wouldn't like having to reset the clock every time I unplug it.