Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Multiple Baseboard Heaters, Each Controlled By A Thermostat, On The Same Breaker

Multiple Baseboard Heaters, Each Controlled By A Thermostat, On The Same Breaker

Old 10-04-12, 11:30 AM

Glad I found this forum. I am planning to add some baseboard heaters to my home, and have a questions regarding feasibility of installing multiple heaters, each with a programmable thermostat, on the same breaker.

I have 3 small bedrooms upstairs that I plan to rent out. I want to put a baseboard heater (1000w) in each room with its own thermostat so the occupant can adjust their own heat. I want to know if it is possible to do all of this off the same breaker.

I have 240v electrical service. I plan to use a 20amp breaker (3 x 4.16amp = 12.5amp) and 12-2 wire.

If this is feasible, any input on how to wire it up would be great. I will be using:

1000w Dimplex Linear Convectors
Dimplex Heating - Residential Linear Convector LC Series

Honeywell 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostats
RLV4300A

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-12, 04:01 PM
Welcome to the forums!

You will need to run your 12-2/G (12-2 with ground) to the location for the first heater, from there to the location for the second heater, and from there to the location for the third, all through the walls. The load should be OK on a 20A circuit. The exact location where you need to bring the cables out of the wall should be in the instructions for the heaters.

You will need to leave 12" or so of cable in front of the wall at each location, and you will need to install a cable clamp in the knockout that you choose to feed the wiring into the heater through. Since these heaters can work on multiple voltages, be sure you connect your cables to the 240V pair of wires in each heater.

If you have more questions, just post back.