Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

1/2 hp A.O.SMITH 115 VAC SINGLE PHASE REV. MOTOR HAS WEAK START

Old 10-07-12, 11:14 AM

Mod Note: Member has solved his problem. I am leaving the post in hopes he will share his solution for future readers with the same problem.

I have this jet ski lift motor, that has an insufficiently weak start. You can hand start it, but that makes it useless. I have tracked down the wiring, and it appears to be wired as shown here. The two coils show low resistance continuity, and the capacitor measures 534 MFD, within spec. I have photos posted here.

http://s911.photobucket.com/albums/a...0motor/http://

It seems to me that the centrifugal force switch is backwards, it appears that the centrifugal force throws the switch away from the motor center, which makes a contact that engages the coil with the capacitor in it which seems backwards, since I assume that would be the starter winding. If there is someone here who knows about motors maybe they could explain this to me.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-07-12 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-12, 02:44 PM
The solution was to clear out more wasp mud behind the centrifugal switch that allowed it to fully travel toward the front of the motor, to the left on diagram, and disconnect the starter coil and capacitor contact that was connected at the motor stop condition.