fishing wire from ceiling to wall switch

Old 01-26-01, 09:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Ok here is my question...I am about to install a ceiling fan . but there is no existing fixture in the ceiling. all my lights are switched on by the wall but the lights have to be lamps that are plugged in by only one wall outlet. wich means to have to lights lit up by the wall switch would mean extention cords in each room..I would like to intsall a ceiling fan with a light fixture. but i am not possitive on how to find the right location and how to fish the wire from ceiling to wall switch or visa/versa.
there is not enough room to crawl through the attic so you see my problem.....any advise would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.....

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-01, 11:02 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
2 choices as I see it:

1) Regardless of crawlspace in your attic, crawl across it with a coil of 12/2-G romex, drop it down between walls to your switch. From above mount a ceiling box in the cieling where you want the fan/light, poking about a foot of wire through it from above, and then finish the job from downstairs.

2) Rip out the wall from your switch straight up to the ceiling, and from there rip out the ceiling over to where you want the new fixture and install a ceiling box from below. Make sure to rip out a big enough hole in the ceiling where you're mounting the box so that you can reach in and properly fasten that box to a joist an such a way so that it will support the fairly heavy fan/light unit.

Juice

Old 01-26-01, 11:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile fishing wire

I think you may of misunderstood me..
there is NOT enough room to crawl through the ceiling/attic to drop a wire down the wall....everything has to be done from downstairs...

Old 01-26-01, 11:45 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
And I did the exact thing you want to do, a 3rd way. First you need to know which direction the ceiling rafters are running. Hopefully, they are running towards the wall that has the switch. If so, this is what I did.

Cut the hole for mounting the ceiling fan junction box. Assume you know how to find the center of the ceiling. Go all the way over to the edge of the ceiling where the wall with the switch meets the ceiling, and cut a 3/4 inch hole in the ceiling. Using an electrician's snake, snake the wire from the fan hole to the hole near the wall. Go across the wall to the switch, and cut a 3/4 inch hole in the wall, near the ceiling. Remove the switch from the box, and send a snake up to the hole at the top of the wall. Feed the wire across across the top of the ceiling/wall joint and fish it down into the switch box.

Now, you have a visible wire runnning across the wall/ceiling junction. In my case, I already had crown molding covering that junction, so I just hid the wire behind the crown molding. If you don't have crown molding, you'll have to put it up to cover the wire.

You may not like this solution either, but it beats tearing up both your wall and your ceiling and the only patching to do is around the ceiling fan box.

Old 01-26-01, 11:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up thank you

thank you to all for your suggestions.
I think i will try your way first Rick, thank you ppl