mount switch inside a steel stud?

Old 10-07-12, 07:58 PM
mount switch inside a steel stud?

Hi All, This is my first post and I'm looking for advice on an electrical switch. I would like to remove a small wall that currently has a switch on it. I can't put the switch on the adjoining wall face, but I was thinking it could go at the very edge of the wall inside the steel stud with a small electrical box. Is there any reason/regulation not to do this?

thank you for any help you can give
-Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-12, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
You didn't mention what type of wire you have so I'm going to assume it's NM-B.....plastic cable. You can mount an electrical box on a metal stud. They make boxes just for that purpose. Some snap on and some use self tapping screws. One important issue....if you are using NM-B then you must use some type of plastic grommet where the wire passes thru any metal stud. They are available at home improvement centers and usually the same places where they sell electrical devices.

Last edited by pcboss; 10-09-12 at 04:36 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 10-08-12, 06:07 AM
Switch

inside the steel stud
Will the stud be cut to make room for the box? If so, what about the structural integrity of the stud?

Old 10-08-12, 01:02 PM
Thank you for the replies!

It's bx cable, the metal armored stuff.

Just to clear things up, I want it inside the stud not mounted to the stud. All/most of my boxes are mounted to studs.

I will need to cut a whole, but the are lots of wholes in steel studs, so I'm not worried about that. It shouldn't weaken it substantially, I don't think

Old 10-08-12, 01:07 PM
geometry

I have not described this well, but the switch would be on the edge of a long wall, so the box will slide into the long face of the stud, the face that metal studs already have holes. This is 90 degrees from the standard orientation relative to studs. I'll make a drawing and post

Old 10-08-12, 01:35 PM
drawing

here is a crude drawing with nothing to scale:

Name:  switch.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  11.7 KB

Old 10-08-12, 10:15 PM
Group Moderator
So you want to install the box in the end of a wall. I'm guessing there is sheet rock on that little piece of wall. There should not be an issues installing a cut-in metal gem there.

Old 10-09-12, 04:40 AM
thanks, glad to hear it. "metal jem" is that trade term for an electrical box?

Old 10-09-12, 07:46 AM
Group Moderator
Gem box, home electrical hardware.

I think depth is listed in this link.... they do come in multiple depths.

Old 10-09-12, 08:00 AM
Great!
Would it be permissible to install an outlet in this same wall end configuration? Its not the same wall end, btw.

Old 10-09-12, 08:09 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think there is anything in the code about that exact location but there may be an issue having a cord or plug hanging out of the end of a wall. Could become a trip hazard.

Old 10-09-12, 10:46 AM
good point, but in this case it's not a problem. I may be removing the sheet rock behind my fridge up to about 70 inches, so I was thinking I could mount the outlet that is behind there facing down from the top of that recess, which be behind the upper cabinets.

Old 10-09-12, 11:26 AM
I was thinking I could mount the outlet that is behind there facing down from the top of that recess,
You could, but how would you guard against the plug coming loose? And JOC, does the cord for your fridge have a right-angle plug on the end?

Old 10-09-12, 11:52 AM
I was thinking it would just stay in due to friction. The current on is pretty tight. It does have a right angle, but the one we are looking at does not, but I would make enough room for it either way.

Old 10-09-12, 12:06 PM
I was thinking it would just stay in due to friction.
It may. Be a bit of a PITA if it came loose though.