remove bathroom vent fan

Old 10-08-12, 05:29 PM
remove bathroom vent fan

I want to permanently remove a bathroom ceiling vent fan but leave the wiring in place so I have questions about how best to accomplish this task. Can I just put the wires in a box in the ceiling with a blank cover plate so that they are always accessible? I'd like to do the same to the wall switches as well. I plan to turn off and tag the breaker too. I realize that codes can be different but maybe there is a National standard or best practice that would be acceptable. The vent fan is in a first floor bathroom of a two-story home so leaving the wiring seems like the best alternative. Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-12, 05:46 PM
A box mounted flush with the face of the wall or ceiling with a blank cover is always a code-compliant way to abandon wires in place. Just cap the hot wires with small wire nuts before you install the cover.

Old 10-08-12, 05:52 PM
Why do you want to eliminate the exhaust fan? Most building codes require either a window or an exhaust fan in a bathroom.

Old 10-08-12, 06:00 PM
Thanks for your quick response!!

Old 10-08-12, 06:03 PM
Furd, it is not an exhaust fan (there is no piping out of the structure). It is a noisy, old heater with a fan that we never use and I don't want to replace it. I incorrectly called it a vent fan because I initially thought that it was that until I removed it. The fan only blows into the room and not out.

Old 10-08-12, 06:05 PM
Still, do you have an exhaust fan or a window in that bathroom?

Old 10-08-12, 07:21 PM
Yes, there is a window that opens. Sorry, watching MNF (Texans / Jets).