asdf40: Junction Boxes In Floor

Old 10-13-12, 05:25 PM
asdf40: Junction Boxes In Floor

I'm faced with the same question. I'm planning to rewire the bedrooms (add switched receptacles for lights and add outlets in general) from the attic.

The attic floor consists of 8" wide boards with about 1/4" between them meaning you can see into the floor cavity through the gaps. I want to put junction boxes here and screw the floorboards down above them for access. I'm seeing conflicting information on whether this meets code.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-12, 05:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

For future reference, it's usually better to start your own thread.

Regardless, what you proposed is not up to code. All junctions must remain accessible without having to remove any building material. So by covering them with floorboards, they are no longer considered accessible.

Moving the junction into the rafters or against a vertical 2x4 spanning between the floor joists and roof rafters is probably your best bet to keep them accessible and not subject to damage.

Old 10-14-12, 01:53 PM
I have a large (6 gang) j-box under my closet floor. I also have a plumbing cleanout right next to it. I framed out about a one square foot area for a trap door. I made the trap door out of scrap subfloor and covered it with vinyl, to match the closet floor. Then I rimmed it with aluminum carpet edge trim. It just lifts out. I can't recall if the inspectors even looked at it for the RI or final.

Old 10-14-12, 02:55 PM
I have a large (6 gang) j-box...I have a large (6 gang) j-box...
OK, I'll bite. What is a 6-gang J-box?

I have a... j-box under my closet floor... I framed out about a one square foot area for a trap door... It just lifts out. I can't recall if the inspectors even looked at it for the RI or final.
That something passes inspection by one inspector, or is overlooked or missed by that inspector, does not mean that it is code-compliant.

Originally Posted by Zorfdt
what you proposed is not up to code. All junctions must remain accessible without having to remove any building material. So by covering them with floorboards, they are no longer considered accessible.

Old 10-14-12, 03:20 PM
OK, I'll bite. What is a 6-gang J-box?
That something passes inspection by one inspector, or is overlooked or missed by that inspector, does not mean that it is code-compliant.
Six ganged one-gang concrete boxes. I needed the capacity in a narrow spot.

Are you saying it's not code compliant? I also have a couple of j-boxes behind manufactured trap doors in walls. I could have done that for the floor, too, but figured why go to the expense for something where aesthetics is not a concern? The hole in the floor is unmistakeably outlined in silver aluminum, and as I said, it's a lift-out panel.

I did show it to my licensed electrical contractor before the RI inspection, and he didn't have a problem with it.

Old 10-14-12, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as it's accessible, it's fine. Your trap door is similar to an access panel or drop ceiling panels. I forget the exact wording, but in all those cases you do have to move something but they are all meant to be moved. You wouldn't be able to screw a your floor boards down or laminate floor over that access panel. You kept the access panel readily accessible, so as far as I would think, it's fully code compliant.

That said, an inspector could look at it and say that it's not accessible and flag your install. The AJH (local inspector) has final word on any subjective code matter. I would imagine that would be quite unlikely though.

Old 10-14-12, 03:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The drop in floor access panel allows access to the junctions underneath it. I don't see any issues unless someone did not know about it while troubleshooting.

Old 10-14-12, 04:09 PM
OK, I'll step down on this one. Since it's a lift-out panel and specially marked, I can see how the AHJ would accept it. Learn or wither on the vine, as someone once said.

JOC, what did you use to cover your 6 concrete boxes ganged together?

Old 10-14-12, 04:16 PM
The NEC has specific definitions for the terms accessible and readily accessible. Junction boxes need to be accessible but they do NOT need to be readily accessible. The removable panel is acceptable.

Old 10-14-12, 05:33 PM
JOC, what did you use to cover your 6 concrete boxes ganged together?
I think this plate is from Leviton. I did check with the supply house in advance to make sure I could get a blank, but they had to order it from some far-off warehouse or maybe directly from Leviton. The plate cost me something like $25.

Old 10-15-12, 09:37 AM
The drop in floor access panel allows access to the junctions underneath it. I don't see any issues unless someone did not know about it while troubleshooting.

Ok so we have rough consensus on a specially marked lift-out panel. But where does the line exist? What if I cut the floorboard so it just spans the joists and make it lift-out?

Old 10-15-12, 11:44 AM
Your access panel does not need to be specially marked. All that is necessary is that the junction boxes be accessible without using tools to remove any finished walls, ceilings or floors.

Old 10-15-12, 12:52 PM
Very nice. If those are pull strings coming out under the cover, I would roll them up inside the box, and slip a bit of padding between the 14-2 cable and the PVC pipe on the right, to protect against mechanical wear over time.

The plate cost me something like $25.
Oy!