Wiring New Laundry Room

Old 10-17-12, 01:47 AM
Wiring New Laundry Room

I recently bought my first fixer upper in Michigan and we have slowly been making process. When we bought the house, we know that we wanted to move the washer and dryer from the dining room to the hallway walk in closet. I have installed all of the 120 outlets needed and they work...yay! We want to splice into the old wiring for the 240 outlet for the dryer, which I believe is a 8/3 wire (I have seen the wire and it is slightly thicker than the 10/3). The gentleman at the hardware store told me 10/3 would be fine, on the inside of the dryer the door it also states to use 10/3 on 30A circuit.

My question is can I splice together a #10 wire with a #8 wire? Just want to make sure everything is done properly.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-12, 02:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! What size breaker is installed for the dryer operation? If 30 amp, you can splice the wire. You will need to do it in a junction box and that box must remain exposed and covered. You can't bury it in the wall. Where do you plan on doing this splice? Would it be just as convenient to run a new circuit from the panel to the new dryer location? What obstacles would prevent this, since it is obviously the best scenario?

Old 10-17-12, 02:55 AM
It is a 30 Amp breaker.

This would prevent us from having to tear open the ceiling in order to follow back to the panel. 90% of the wiring in the house goes to the ceiling and only a small amount in in the crawl space.

Old 10-17-12, 04:35 AM
With a 30 amp breaker, if the wire is 8 gauge, it will be fine to downsize it to 10 gauge for the final run. Just remember the junction box must remain exposed and covered. So many remodels I have done just to find hidden connections in ceilings which creates problems later down the road. Label the cover plate as to what it supplies on the inside of the cover. Not required, but makes it easier for someone who opens it to know what it does.

Old 10-17-12, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
Just to double check the wire has a red, black, white, and bare. A total of three conductors plus a ground, Correct?

Old 10-17-12, 05:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another important question to have answered is whether the old cable is aluminum or copper. If aluminum it will require special connectors to perform the splice.

Old 10-17-12, 06:04 AM
Good points, all. .....................

Old 10-17-12, 06:55 AM
Yes there is a red, black, white and bare. I believe the wire is copper but I will make sure to double check it, wires do like relatively new.

Old 10-17-12, 06:58 AM
What type of junction box should be used? \

It would have been nice if the previous owners would have labels the panel it took forever to figure out what did what, will definitely label the inside of the cover to make things easier for future owners.

Old 10-17-12, 08:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The material of the box does not matter. The only thing would be to ensure that you have enough cubic inches for the splices. Each #8 is 3 cubic inches and a #10 is 2.5 cubic inches.

(4*3)+(3*2.5) = 12+7.5 = 19.5 cubic inches or greater. A bigger box is easier to work in as you need larger wire nuts or split bolts or a pre-insulated splice like a Polaris.