Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Installing 220 outlet for new range when old range was hard wired in

Old 10-17-12, 01:51 PM

Hi everyone. I have a basic understanding of electrical work as I have done a few things my self but I'm worried this may be over my head. We moved into a house built in the 60's and the free standing range that came with the house is about just as old. We bought a new electric range and when we went to install it we realized the old range was hard wired in. Before I just blindly disconnected the old range, installed a 220v wall outlet and installed the new range I wanted to check to make sure the old wires and breaker could handle the new range. This is where my issues are. The old range is a three wire which I don't think is an issue since I can buy a 3 wire range cord. However when I went to check the breaker I was expecting to find it already set up for a 220v with 2 - 110 breakers. What I found was the breakers for the old range were seperated in to 3 breakers. 2 for the cooktop and 1 for the oven. (see picture attachment) This makes no since to me since the cooktop and oven are all one unit like the new one we bought. Can anyone help me understand this and whether it is something that is sufficient to handle my new range or if I would be better off just contacting an electrician.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-12, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
First your house does not have 220 if you are in the US. You have 240. You do not need two 110 [sic] breakers you need a two pole 240 volt breaker.

An electric range probably requires a 50 amp 120/240 service. Your existing breakers are only 40 amps so the supply may only be #8 copper or #6 aluminum. You need to verify the amps required for your stove and the size of the existing wire. Based on your pictures you are going to need new wire if conduit or new cable and a new breaker. By modern code you will be required to run a four wire circuit.

Tell us the recommended amps or full load amps on the name plate for the stove and size wire you have and we will go from there.

Old 10-17-12, 02:35 PM
First your house does not have 220 if you are in the US. You have 240.
No 220 in Nashville. All single-phase 240.

Based on your pictures you are going to need new wire if conduit or new cable and a new breaker.
Conduit for commercial jobs. Type NM for residences.

Old 10-17-12, 02:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A range can be on a 40 or 50 amp circuit. The requirements will be on the dataplate on the unit.

I suspect someone has made some changes to the circuits but left the labels.

Old 10-17-12, 03:09 PM
Not sure if this really adds any value to the conversation, but it's possible that at some point in the life of that house, the cooktop and oven were two separate units, and at some point remodeling was done and somebody put in an all-in-one, and as pcboss said they left the labling there.

Old 10-17-12, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Nitronic suggested:
it's possible that at some point in the life of that house, the cooktop and oven were two separate units, and at some point remodeling was done and somebody put in an all-in-one,
That would be my guess also.