Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Help - blown 20amp household fuse but can't get it out of fuse box

Help - blown 20amp household fuse but can't get it out of fuse box

Old 10-20-12, 10:45 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Help - blown 20amp household fuse but can't get it out of fuse box

I have an older home (circa 1947) with a traditional fuse box.
Some of my fuses (the 20amps) have these funky 'covers' over top - or like a guard over them, that I can't figure out how to get them out to check if the fuse is blown.

I blew the microwave fuse and I think it's one of these but I cannot get them out because of the guards. I've tried looking everywhere online and haven't seen anything like this.

Photo attached

HELP!

Attached Images  
Old 10-20-12, 12:07 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Who is the manufacturer of the panel? Can you step back and give us a picture of the whole panel?

Just a side note: Are you sure your wiring supports 20 amp fuses. Most circuits on residential panels were wired for 15 amps.

Old 10-20-12, 12:27 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I've never seen those but it appears that they are hinged on the outer edge. Use a screwdriver on the inner edge as a pry to see if that releases them.

Be careful to NOT allow the screwdriver to touch anything metallic.

Old 10-20-12, 08:11 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
Your electrical system was not designed for the loads of modern appliances such as the microwave you evidently blew the fuse with. I don't think I'd recommend using it again without having some serious upgrades made such as a new service and some rewiring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: