Laundry room electrical question

Old 10-20-12, 10:12 PM
Laundry room electrical question

Hi,
I recently purchased an older apt. style condo. The washer/dryer unit was older so I bought 2 new units (1 washer 1 dryer) without thinking. The new washer requires a 120V receptacle. Currently in my laundry room I only have 1 receptacle. It is a 240V on a 30a double post circuit which works for my dryer. The only other electrical in this room comes from the lighting. Currently the light circuit carries 12 different lights. Is it possible to split from the light circuit and add a wall receptacle for the washer or is this too much electrical on 1 circuit? If it is, is it possible (and safe) to add a 120v receptacle from the 240v 30a line if I'm only using it for a washing machine. I really do not want to have to add a new circuit. What are my options here?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-12, 10:31 PM
Make your landlord call a qualified electrician to install a dedicated 20A gfci protected circuit.

Old 10-20-12, 10:41 PM
I own. Is it possible to add a receptacle from the light circuit that is already in the room?

Old 10-20-12, 11:20 PM
Group Moderator
It would not be wise to use the lighting circuit for the washer. As you've stated you have 12 fixtures on it now. That would basically max out a 15 amp circuit. Those and the washer together would really be taxing the circuit. The washer should actually be on its own dedicated 20 amp line. I know.....the panel is probably on the other side of the house.

Old 10-20-12, 11:26 PM
Yes it is. Ha. what about adding to the dedicated 240V circuit? Is their any way of running a line off of that? I've added up the current wattage on the light circuit. Somewhere I was looking said that a 15a circuit should have no more than 1446w on it. Mine only has 1185w on it due to the energy efficient lighbulbs. Does this change anything?

Old 10-20-12, 11:35 PM
Nope. You still need a dedicated 20A gfci protected laundry circuit.

Old 10-20-12, 11:58 PM
Group Moderator
1185 watts in current lighting and an average of 1000 watts or slightly more for the washer. The dedicated dryer circuit can be converted to be used for the washer but it cannot do both.

Old 10-21-12, 12:12 AM
Ok, next question. I have a circuit in the room next door (The washroom) that has only 1 receptacle on it. It would be easier to run it to the laundry room from here than running a brand new circuit from the circuit board. Would that be ok?

Old 10-21-12, 12:24 AM
Group Moderator
At least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets. Therefore according to code your answer is no. And I'm not sure you need to use a GFI receptacle. I believe a single (one set of slots) not a duplex receptacle is also acceptable. I have to check on that part.

Old 10-21-12, 07:20 AM
At least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets. Therefore according to code your answer is no.
That would be per NEC, but the OP is in Canada. I am not sure what the Canadian codes require, but I do know they are not the same as the NEC.

You still need a dedicated 20A gfci protected laundry circuit.
Again, I do not know what Canadian code requirements are. The NEC in the U.S. would not require GFCI protection on a laundry circuit unless it is either in an unfinished basement or if receptacle is within 6 feet of the edge of a sink.