Dryer blowing fuses, what could it be ?

Old 10-23-12, 10:49 AM
Dryer blowing fuses, what could it be ?

Hi ... Trying to help out my neighbour, she has been having trouble blowing fuses when she puts a little to much in her dryer, not only this newer dryer but the one before it so this leads me to believe it's in the wiring or at the panel and not the dryer. I was thinking maybe a weak circuit break however it's hooked to the older 30 amp cartridges and most times it will only pop one fuse, then other times it will blow both. Does this sound like a loose cartridge hold, wire maybe ? ... There are no signs of coording or burn on the ends of the cartridges and no extra room to change the circuit to a breaker, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Ron ...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-12, 11:53 AM
Group Moderator
Are you using slow blow (time delay) fuses? Sound like you may be using fast blow fuses. They won't work because of the motor.

Old 10-23-12, 01:48 PM
They are the cartridge type fuses, not slow blow fuses.

Old 10-23-12, 04:19 PM
Slow blow fuses come in cartridge style. Also check to be certain the lint trap in the machine is clean and the exhaust duct as well. Dirty lint traps and ducts will decrease the air flow and cause the element to overheat and that in turn causes a higher amperage draw.

Old 10-23-12, 06:03 PM
Since she had this problem with the previous dryer as well as this newer one I would also check the exhaust duct. After that, I would check all connections at the fuse box to be sure they are tight.

Old 10-24-12, 09:31 AM
Ok ... thanks to all, I mentioned to my neighbour and she turned thr dryer on and went out to check the vent only to find the flap hardly moving and when she lifted it a ball of lint blew out. I told her to use a shop-vac and clean from outside and shake for more to fall inside and clean that, I hope this works, sure sounds like that's her problem ...... will post results. Thanks again.