splicing #10 wire

Old 10-23-12, 12:08 PM
splicing #10 wire

I have a barn with a 125A service and it has recently gotten an addition. I would like to add a couple of 30A/220V welder plugs. I have two of these welder circuits in the "old" part of the barn and would like to splice into these circuits. Since i only have one welder that runs on 220V, i can only use it in one place at a time. Is there anything in the NEC that disallows splicing #10 wire? If not, are wire nuts acceptable or is there a better way to do the splice?

The reason that I want to splice is that the existing box is full due to lights, 110V plugs and a couple of dedicated 220V circuits. The barn has been permitted and inspected so i am not looking to cobble something together. I have just never seen #10 wire spliced.

Thank you,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-12, 12:34 PM
In your shoes I'd put an A/B switch where the current outlet is, and stub down for a new outlet for the existing area, then run out of that A/B switch to the new location...

Old 10-23-12, 12:42 PM
Nothing wrong with doing it the way you're suggesting. If someone overloads the circuit then the breaker should trip and protect everything. Much less aggravating to just have power in the receptacle than having to go flip a switch to get it there.

And yes, a red or large blue nut protecting a well-twisted splice is a fully compliant method of adding the new run(s) to the existing wiring.

Old 10-23-12, 01:36 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I could not see anything wrong with this and it is more convenient than an A/B switch that is always in the wrong position. I just wanted to be sure that there was not anything in the NEC code saying otherwise.

Thanks again.

Mike