Need some advice on junction box location

Old 10-23-12, 07:37 PM
Need some advice on junction box location

Hi experts! I'm remodeling my kitchen and have come to the point of installing junction boxes for my built in oven and cooktop. The cooktop will be located directly above the oven (GE says this is allowed for these particular models).

The cooktop is 30" wide induction model that has a 40 amp rating. I have run 3 conductor 6ga copper for this. The oven is a double oven in a single oven footprint. It requires a 220v 20amp circuit which I have run a 12-3 cable for.

My problem is I have limited space behind the oven and below the cooktop to mount the junction box (these units don't use plugs). I'm hoping someone might have the time to look at the below urls and look at the installation pdf's for these two units. The oven is fairly specific on where to locate the box but not the cooktop.

I guess one possibility is to use only one junction box. Just wasn't sure if that would be large enough.

Thanks in advance,

Rut

Oven:

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=PT925SNSS

Cooktop:

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=PHP960SMSS

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-12, 09:41 PM
Your links didn't work.

Is this the oven you have? GE Profile™ 30" Built-In Single/Double Convection Wall Oven.

And is this the cooktop? GE Profile™ 30" Electric Induction Cooktop.

If so, can you follow the advice in the installation instructions for the oven and put both J-boxes in the back of an adjacent cabinet?

Old 10-24-12, 07:26 AM
Sorry. I was trying to link directly to the installation pdf. Here is the link to the oven itself.

PT925SNSS | GE Profile

and cooktop:

PHP900SMSS | GE Profile

Old 10-24-12, 08:27 AM
OK, those are the ones I linked to.

Did you see the note on page 5 of the installation instructions for the oven, where it says (junction box may be in adjacent cabinet)?

Old 10-24-12, 08:33 AM
Yes. I did see that but my adjacent cabinet happens to be a corner cabinet with a revolving shelf system installed. Very difficult to reach the back of that cabinet.