Bad electrical outlet??

Old 10-24-12, 07:31 AM
Bad electrical outlet??

Trying to trouble shoot an electrical outlet issue.
woke up this a.m. and computer which is plugged into a serge protector is not working. tested the serge protector in another outlet and it works fine.
Flipped the switch back on the circuit breaker and my voltage detector lights up when i test the outlet in wall. when i plug a device into it, there is no power coming to device?? Devices do work on other outlets. Could outlet be bad? Could the current be to low to power devices? If so what would cause this?
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Owen

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-12, 07:34 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums. Have you taken the receptacle out to look at the wiring connections? Tell us more about your voltage tester and what it's telling you.

Old 10-24-12, 06:07 PM
Flipped the switch back on the circuit breaker and my voltage detector lights up when i test the outlet in wall.
Was the circuit breaker tripped? Did you actually check the voltage or are you using a non-contact tester? If you have 120 volts at the outlet, the computer should work. I would guess you are using a non-contact tester (not reliable) and you have lost the neutral; therefore you don't have 120 volts at the outlet. If you want to troubleshoot this problem, you'll need better test equipment.