thermostat for a pump house

Old 10-25-12, 05:06 AM
thermostat for a pump house

I have been trying to locate a thermostat for use in my pump house to prevent freezing and am not sure exactly what to buy. It is my hope to install a thermostat and was wondering if something like the Honeywell CT410a for baseboard heaters would work. If not, can someone suggest something that will?

I've tried a basic 3 prong plug type that I got from the local farmer's store (MFA) in Missouri but it does not seem to work. I tried two different units but they did not allow the light to turn on at any temp.

Suggestions would be helpful and thank you in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-12, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Are you saying you are using a light as a heat source?
Honeywell CT410a for baseboard heaters would work
It should.
I've tried a basic 3 prong plug type that I got from the local farmer's store
Not sure what that is. Can you elaborate?

Have you considered heat tapes with built in thermostats?

Old 10-25-12, 11:16 AM
Please allow me to suggest a Honeywell T63A1113/U temperature controller; you can find this device via the Honeywell on-Line Catalog.

From the "product specs' ---"provides line-voltage controll of heating in ---storage areas"-----" use in barns ------ pump-houses -----" '' treated to resist corrosion"----"contact ratings-----120 volts---16 AFL ----220 volts--- 8 AFL"; I presume "AFL"= Amps Full Load.

You won't find this at Home Depot, so consult an "expert" at a HVAC supply-house.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience .

Old 10-26-12, 03:03 AM
reply to questions

Yes I am using a light as the heat source. Let's just forget the three prong plug. Would the Honeywell CT410a work for this type of application?

Old 10-26-12, 04:54 AM
Yes, it can be used to control a 120V load. I'm not sure, but it looks like it might only have a celcius scale on the dial. Not that it won't still control the light.

Old 10-26-12, 04:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Another suggestion is a Thermo-cube. They come on about 35 degrees and go off at about 45 degrees. Anything plugged in will operate during low temperature times. I use them to power heat lamps in my chicken coop. Example only: Thermo Cube TC-3 - On at 35 Degrees, Off at 45 Degrees - Smarthome

Old 10-26-12, 07:43 AM
That is the three prong plug I mentioned. For some reason it has not worked for me and I have tried two different cubes.

Old 10-26-12, 02:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How do you know they haven't worked? Is it from past seasons? This season probably hasn't been cold enough for them, yet.

Old 10-28-12, 12:23 AM
I have tried them over the past six years by plugging them into a grounded socket, a light socket and at temps under 32 degrees. I tried contacting the company to see what I have been doing that was wrong but never was able to learn what I was doing incorrectly.