Proper Pigtailing?

Old 10-22-12, 05:22 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Proper Pigtailing?

When installing multiple switches running off the same circuit, do I make multiple pigtails from the hot, or do I run the hot to one switch and then pigtail each subsequent switch from the previous? I'm trying to run 4 switches off one circuit for various lights. If I tried to pigtail each switch from the hot, that would be 5 wires - can I do that? (14/2)

Same question for two duplex outlets?

Old 10-22-12, 06:35 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
When installing multiple switches running off the same circuit, do I make multiple pigtails from the hot,
That is best practice. You can only have one wire per screw and it is best not to use a back stabs as a splice because of their unreliability and confusion it might cause a non-pro at a later time. The old practice of a continuous wire with small sections of insulation removed at each switch can be used but my opinion is it makes it harder to position the switches in the box.

If I tried to pigtail each switch from the hot, that would be 5 wires - can I do that? (14/2)
It always depends on box fill and when in doubt you should calculate box fill. More Wires Need Bigger Boxes - Fine Homebuilding Article

Old 10-22-12, 01:32 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Same question for two duplex outlets?
What is the question about the two duplex outlets? Combining all of the wires on each phase into a splice with a pigtail that connects to the receptacle is generally the best practice.

Old 10-24-12, 08:49 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
say you have a 3 ganged box with 3 switches then you would take the hot wire and make 3 pig tails off of the switch about 6 inches in length or long enough for convienece. thats a total of 4 wires under one wire nut

Last edited by Nashkat1; 10-25-12 at 12:15 PM. Reason: correct typo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: