Too many wires in box for exterior floodlight

Old 10-27-12, 09:58 AM
Too many wires in box for exterior floodlight

I'm hoping to replace an older exterior floodlight. I took the old fixture off, and found a tangle of wires in the box which puzzles me.The overall situation of the box is this: There is a light switch inside the house just behind the box. Outside the house there is a GFI outlet and a conduit going from it up to the box. The switch controls both the GFI outlet and the floodlight. Coming out of the conduit I have two white wires and a blue; coming out from the house wall I have a white, black, and bare (grounding) wire. The white from inside the house seems to have been coupled with one of the whites from the conduit. (see attached photo). The black wire is the only hot wire.I have a new floodlight socket ready to go -- but of course it has just one black, one white, and one grounding wire. How the heck to I connect it?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-12, 10:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You'll need to remove the power to the GFCI and pull out the receptacle as well as the switch that controls them, take pictures as you did here and let us see the entire picture. I have a feeling power come in via the black and white wires and it provides power to the GFCI and is switched from there. But we won't know until you let us know. The conduit connections are wrong for external application, just for information. We'll get to that as we get the problem solved regarding the wiring.

Old 10-27-12, 11:12 AM
Thanks for getting back to me!! Well, part of the puzzle is solved -- since I removed the old floodlight, there is now no power to the GFI ! So it looks to me as though someone wired through the old floodlight box to the GFI. This same house has has other such wiring shortcuts -- the ceiling light in the bathroom was powered by splicing its wires to a wall light fixture! My best move now I think would be to tape off all the wires that come the conduit, wire up the light to the B&W wires coming from the interior switch, and declare the GFI dead until it can be wired properly. What do you think?

Old 10-27-12, 11:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, you can apply b-caps (we don't just use tape) to the wires coming up from the GFCI and consider them temporarily abandoned until you decide to change the conduit connectors, etc, or rewire it altogether. Not sure why there were two white, but if you remove the GFCI, I'll bet the bank, they used a white wire on the grounding terminal. Not proper at all.