Urgent! Diesel Generator not putting out proper voltage.

Old 10-28-12, 05:23 PM
Urgent! Diesel Generator not putting out proper voltage.

I'm installing this Diesel generator for a friend of my dad's and when a load is applied, the voltage dips down to 195W @10A/leg. I got a new AVR, and I need to wire it in with the little instructions I have. How do I do it? I'm in a hurry and thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-12, 05:49 PM
I'm sorry Justin, I don't think I can help. Generally when there is a voltage problem, I have referred the problem back to the dealer's factory service department. I am just assuming that by "AVR" you mean a type of voltage regulator. Looks to me to be a used genset and could be your dad's friend got a good deal on it, but he shouldn't have waited till the big storm was about to hit to get you to install it.

Be sure you have conduits available for not only output power from the generator, but for start wires (and other control wires) and 120 volt circuits for battery chargers and block and/or battery heaters.

Old 10-28-12, 07:39 PM
Well, we figured out the problem. The governor wasn't made to have a changing load (he got the engine off a refrigerator). He needs to get a new governor for the genset. Luckily he has one of those 800W Harbor Freight units. Thanks, Joe, for trying to help.

Old 10-29-12, 07:13 PM
(he got the engine off a refrigerator).
I've never seen a diesel refrigerator. Post a picture of it if you can.

Old 10-29-12, 10:58 PM

This is something like what he said he got it off. He found another, possibly the problem was he was taking his speed measurements off a pulley and not off the generator shaft, so it was running at about 900 rpm rather than 1800.

Old 10-30-12, 02:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Refrigerator??!! That's a Thermo-King! Quite a powerful engine. Hope he got it running before the hurricane hit. Nothing like last minute get-ready stuff.

Old 10-30-12, 09:48 AM
It's currently running his all electric house.